K-Station - 'pot drift' or 'ghost parameters'...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
eucarya

K-Station - 'pot drift' or 'ghost parameters'...

Post by eucarya » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:20 am

I recently got hold of a used K-Station. It's in good shape and I haven't been having any problems until...

The noise/ring mod/external input parameter seems to be drifting randomly during play. Usually when I turn them all down to "0" they won't drift but anytime I have them past "0" they jump up and down. I'm thinking the pot is shot but I'm a bit scared to open the K up and poke around.

I recall seeing a brief reference in a thread here to this or a similar problem. Anyone have any ideas before I contact Novation directly? I'm gonna reload the OS and reset everything when I get a chance this week but until then I thought I'd ask around...

Thanks!!!

Toris

Post by Toris » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 am

It does sound like a suspect pot, the Supenova's are renowned for it although they are great synths. Try the new OS first though.

If you email Novation UK they may send out a new pot free of charge, they're excellent like that.
Err...now what?

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I contacted Novation and they gave me the website of their distributor for parts and repair stuff in the US, (American Music & Sound. Called and left two messages at two different numbers the other day, no one is returning calls so looks like I'll have to call again tomorrow.

The guy I talked to at Novation said it sounded like 'dirty pots' (sounds like a synth-punk band eh?) so if I can actually get a hold of someone at the distributor I'm going to try to replace them. I should open the K up and spray it out with duster + make sure everything is in good shape this weekend.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress ;)

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Fri May 02, 2008 8:02 pm

UPDATE (if anyone cares ;)):

I opened the K-Station up and cleaned it out. When I first closed it something was a bit messed up as the LFO select switch triggered program change (???) but this was quickly remedied (hopefully) by reopening and making sure a little foam piece was snug.

The pots are shot, the total is up to 3 now, the noise, effects, and mod sus pots all need replaced. I talked to AM&S and they are doing inventory. Going to find out how much they want for parts or to send away to be repaired. The digital insides of the K-Station completely baffled me, everything is so teeny-tiny!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I really dig the K-Station for its portability and knobbyness so I'm hoping this can return to my studio soon.

Also wondering if it might be easier to list it on tha 'Bay as 'needs some repairs' and just buy a fresh one...

Blah!!

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 pm

My bandmates ks had alot ghost edit problems. Reloading the OS didn't work. He never really delt with it. Kept shows lively. :lol:
so what do I put down here now?