JD800 key cleaning

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Tek

JD800 key cleaning

Post by Tek » Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 am

My JD800 has developed several defunct keys after being left unplayed for a while. I've cleaned several keyboard contacts before but not my JD. Can anyone tell me if there any pitfalls to watch out for.Thanks.
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.

Tek

Post by Tek » Wed May 07, 2008 11:56 pm

Did it.

Used the schematics, works like a dream.

gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Post by gunark » Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Just done the same - JD's keys are held in by non conventional means - not the usual spring method but once you work it out it's much the same.

I second the rough end of the eraser to clean the contacts - but, as it took me a while to figure out, always do the same on the contacts on the rubber, not just the ones on the actual keybed. Or maybe I'm just a dumbass.

Tek

Post by Tek » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Good point, I cleaned the contacts on my U20 without cleaning the fubbers and it was ok for a while then started playing up. After cleaning the rubbers as well its great.
There were some tips years ago in one of the keyboard mags about cleaning contacts and it said rub them with paper after cleaning as the contacts don't like it. Don't take any notice; just clean them - I used 'servisol' and q tips.

Tek

Post by Tek » Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Good point, I cleaned the contacts on my U20 without cleaning the rubbers and it was ok for a while then started playing up. After cleaning the rubbers as well its great.
There were some tips years ago in one of the keyboard mags about cleaning contacts and it said rub them with paper after cleaning as the contacts don't like it. Don't take any notice; just clean them - I used 'servisol' and q tips.