Help me get my first synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
cyclonica80

Help me get my first synth

Post by cyclonica80 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new synth, this will be my first synth and i have no idea what to get. I want to play music simular to VNV-Nation, Grendel, And One, and combi Christ. can someone give me some ideas? thanks a bunch

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Help me get my first synth

Post by ronP » Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 pm

cyclonica80 wrote:Hey all,

I am in the market for a new synth, this will be my first synth and i have no idea what to get. I want to play music simular to VNV-Nation, Grendel, And One, and combi Christ. can someone give me some ideas? thanks a bunch

This post is best placed in the HELP section . . .

That stated, the ROLAND SH-201 and NOVATION XioSynth 49 are two contemporary (a.k.a. easy to find and purchase) virtual analog polyphonic synthesizers with full-size, four-octave keyboards, clear sound design layouts, aggressive sounds, and useful performance features (arpeggiators, D-beams, touch pads, so forth), which will run one between 450 and 600 dollars U.S. These two models would make for a good introduction to subtractive (constructimng sounds from scratch) synthesis.

Once you get hooked (and you will) you can then spend even more (perhaps the rest) of your $ and dive into true analog synths, vintage monosynths, modern workstations, tabletop grooveboxes, rack-mounted and pedal effects . . .

Last edited by ronP on Mon May 12, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:20 pm

That stated, the ROLAND SH-201 and NOVATION XioSynth 49 are two contemporary (a.k.a. easy to find and purchase) virtual analog polyphonic synthesizers with full-size, four-octave keyboards, clear sound design layouts, aggressive sounds, and useful performance features (arpeggiators, D-beams, touch pads, so forth), which will run one between 450 and 600 dollars U.S. These two models would make for a good introduction to additive (constructimng sounds from scratch) synthesis.

Once you get hooked (and you will) you can then spend even more (perhaps the rest) of your $ and dive into true analog synths, vintage monosynths, modern workstations, tabletop grooveboxes, rack-mounted and pedal effects . . .
EXTREMELY well stated!!! Especially the part about "once you get hooked (and you will)"!!!! :D
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Thu May 08, 2008 6:31 pm

ronP wrote: Once you get hooked (and you will) you can then spend even more (perhaps the rest) of your $ and dive into true analog synths, vintage monosynths, modern workstations, tabletop grooveboxes, rack-mounted and pedal effects . . .

and casiotones

to make things a bit harder, I'll throw in Yamaha An1x, Korg MS2000 and Roland JP8000 instead of SH201

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu May 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Any room on the suggestion list for the Clavia Nord Lead 2/2r?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

donaldm
Gear: modular synthesizer
Location: pedal depressed pan chromatic resonance and other highly ambient domain

Post by donaldm » Thu May 08, 2008 7:05 pm

ronP wrote:..... These two models would make for a good introduction to additive (constructimng sounds from scratch) synthesis.
additive? you should check our definition.

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri May 09, 2008 4:44 am

whats the budget, thats a key part most folks leave out.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 am

cyclonica80 wrote:I want to play music simular to VNV-Nation, Grendel, And One, and combi Christ. can someone give me some ideas? thanks a bunch
MS2000, Virus KB or KC, Nord Lead 2 or 2X.

ford442
Band: Noah Cohn

Post by ford442 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:37 am

my first synth was a Korg Electribe EA-1.. cheap and easy to learn.. i had a lot of fun with mine for years...

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat May 10, 2008 2:23 am

donaldm wrote:
ronP wrote:..... These two models would make for a good introduction to additive (constructimng sounds from scratch) synthesis.
additive? you should check our definition.
Additive synthesis is synthesizing sounds by adding in all the specific harmonics you want, usually with sine waves... As opposed to subtractive synthesis which is taking harmonically rich waves or combinations of them and removing harmonics with a filter. Both these synths are subtractive, I'm pretty sure.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)