Creating a G-Funk studio

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Troys_81

Creating a G-Funk studio

Post by Troys_81 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi guys

I'm new to these forums and the website although I saw it several years ago.

I am not a great piano player but I have an ear for music and the different sound layers that are essential for creating a particular music style and this is what I want to try and create.

Equipment wise - I don't have much. I have a Yamaha KX-88 MIDI only 88 note keyboard. I had lessons for a year or so but at the time didn't have the spare cash to get some software and synth emulation software which was part of the reason I got playing. I love the keyboard but other things have gotten my interest at the moment.

What I want are the tools that will allow me to recreate the G-Funk sound of early 90's gangsta rap (not everyone's cup of tea I know). Some songs that I can think of are which have the sound I'm after:

Bad Azz - This is how we get down
Notorious BIG - Big Papa
2PAC - California Love
Roscoe - I love Cali

So I want an emulator/good software synth to recreate those low synth bass lines and as well as the high frequency sliding Portamento which I guess is done through synchronisation of notes at a quicker tempo. I also need a good drum machine to make beats and finally software for those classic 70's horn and brass sections (Can be done on a Moog?). Finally recording software that is not too complicated to use for a newbie.

I'm new to this so help and good help would be greatly appreciated.

Troys_81

Post by Troys_81 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Come on. Someone here must have an idea what to go for. I have a few already but mainly need software that emulates the synth ('minimonsta') and also a drum machine or otherwise one which I can buy cheaply.

Would love as much input on this as possible. Thanks guys and girls.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat May 10, 2008 3:01 pm

I seem to remember a discussion on this before, but I can't locate it now. Most of the relevant information came from Dr. Dre's gear list. Some of that is discussed in this interview:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Bn ... =firefox-a

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon May 12, 2008 2:56 am

You can recreate Biggie's "Big Papa" by finding a copy of the Isley Brothers' "Between the Sheets".... it's just a straight sample with a bit of a drumbeat over it.

Same can be said for California Love... just pick up a copy of Joe Cocker's "Woman to Woman" and presto! you've got the California Love beat.

The point that I'm trying to get across is that you're not going to be playing synths to get sounds like that. All hiphop from that era was sample based, with samples being picked up from vinyl records into an MPC and then a cut up drumbreak sequenced over the loop.

Today you could do all this simply with a turntable and a copy of Ableton live and a controller such as maybe the Akai MPD.... with the MPC pads.

Just try to find the most obscure and unlikely records you can.... that's usually where the juicy stuff lurks.

Good luck!
Monkey business since 2007!

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Mon May 12, 2008 6:06 am

get one of the minimoog softwares. I don't use virtual instruments so I don't know what to recommend specifically. Minimoog sounds are all over stuff of that time. Also, a softsynth with rhodes sounds would be good.

Troys_81

Post by Troys_81 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 am

Awesome guys thanks for all the information.

In relation to samples I did read that in Dr Dre's article and when he refers to the MPC3000.

In relation to software synth's I will probably go on a moog clone or otherwise the ARP 2600. Will I have more potential with the ARP 2600?

I've already got Fruity Loops so just need the soft synth and I'm ready to start at least practicing. Is there any other recording software I will need?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm

The Moog emulator should sound more correct than the Arp.

You really need to invest in a record collection to emulate the style.

Troys_81

Post by Troys_81 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 am

micahjonhughes wrote:The Moog emulator should sound more correct than the Arp.

You really need to invest in a record collection to emulate the style.
I totally agree and thought about it myself, at least to listen to as much of the original 70s funk music that has the style I like.

So I should be set then with a Moog emulator, Fruity Loops, keyboard(already own). Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks guys for all the feedback so far. Really has helped me out.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

I know nothing about Fruity Loops' sampling abilities but vintage samplers add tone to samples. You may eventually want to invest in a vintage hardware sampler to get that low bit grit on your drum samples.

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Post by Umbe78 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:43 pm

you can watch and ask people on youtube into hip hop ...
many have fruity loops .. something like this
just one of us