roland sh7 repair in canada

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
fiveways

roland sh7 repair in canada

Post by fiveways » Sat May 17, 2008 9:05 pm

hi all, i have a sh7. Its.....well it might be working 100% fine and i just hate it, but i think its age is starting to show. Is there anyplace in canada you suggest getting it looked at? I at least want it to have a once over before i sell the thing.

anyone else out there own a sh7 and have a opinion on it.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat May 17, 2008 9:44 pm

Depends where you're located. I think Toronto might have a place for old Roland gear.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

fiveways

Post by fiveways » Sat May 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Depends where you're located. I think Toronto might have a place for old Roland gear.
ottawa. so montreal would be easier but i am willing to cart it jsut to see if i can get it working properly/if it is working and i jusit dont like it

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 pm

fiveways wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Depends where you're located. I think Toronto might have a place for old Roland gear.
ottawa. so montreal would be easier but i am willing to cart it jsut to see if i can get it working properly/if it is working and i jusit dont like it
Try contacting Roland Canada or asking your favourite Roland retailer for advice, is what I would do first.

btw, that's a pretty rad synth!

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 am

Want to sell it?

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Sun May 18, 2008 12:28 am

Hi - I live about an hour west of Ottawa - I do synth repairs on occasion as well as guitar pedal repairs/mods. In Ottawa there is Spaceman Music (was previously Songbird) who also do repairs.
Mike

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun May 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Well you can start by telling us what it's doing that you hate so much. I can tell you if it's normal or not.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Mon May 19, 2008 5:18 am

If I weren't that taken, I'd say I'm interested. But to tell the truth, I'm booked solid until the winter (and there are still more gears coming in). The thing is that I'm the only tech now in my company. Otherwise, I'd be delighted to see your synth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Mon May 19, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm glad to hear songbird/spaceman is back in business... the toronto store is sorely missed.

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Mon May 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Spaceman / Songbird in Ottawa never shut it's doors (fortunately), most of the Songbird staff is still there, keyboard dept busy as always.

Never saw Songbird Toronto, but really enjoyed hanging out at Steve's Music in TO in the late 70s... got to try Yamaha CS-80 and other treats while they were brand new... and not vintage :D

fiveways

Post by fiveways » Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 pm

solderguy wrote:Hi - I live about an hour west of Ottawa - I do synth repairs on occasion as well as guitar pedal repairs/mods. In Ottawa there is Spaceman Music (was previously Songbird) who also do repairs.
Mike
I bought it at spaceman. I'd just rather try someplace else as, well, they can be slow on none amplifier related object and if it hate it i wanna flip it quickly.

Here is a odd question...did you use to do repairs out of used sound years ago [like late 90's}?

and on what i hate:

the oscillators both sound weak. High pass filter does nothing until it is at extremes. everything is out of tune no matter the warm up time.

Problem is there are so few examples out there to compare it too....beyond a small amount of clips on sequencer.de I have no idea what one in working condition is supposed to sound like.

There is a large percent chance that like most roland synths i have owned [there have been a pile] I just don't like it all that much and it will be being sold soon so i can get something else.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Tue May 20, 2008 5:18 pm

The guy you want is Jim Nelson. He's in Toronto. He used to be a Roland tech back when this keyboard was in it's prime. If you call Roland Canada they will probably refer you to him - 100%.

fiveways

Post by fiveways » Tue May 20, 2008 6:07 pm

guesswho wrote:The guy you want is Jim Nelson. He's in Toronto. He used to be a Roland tech back when this keyboard was in it's prime. If you call Roland Canada they will probably refer you to him - 100%.
we called roland support and they say they will take it in to look. no mention of him though.

do you happen to have his contact number?

solderguy

Post by solderguy » Wed May 21, 2008 12:47 am

Hi fiveways - yes, I used to do occasional synth and pedal repairs/mods for Hans at Used Sound before he closed around 2002 - there was also another repair person named Doug M. who did repairs for Hans and Songbird etc for many years.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed May 21, 2008 1:03 am

Too bad you are not in Boston. I've worked on those before.