Korg R3 -> TR-606 -> MIDI sync????

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sky_line

Korg R3 -> TR-606 -> MIDI sync????

Post by sky_line » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 am

hello all...

so i am trying to sync my Korg R3 with my vintage Roland TR-606. has anybody tried this before? (i'm sure some of you have!)

for now, they are connected like so: TR-606 OUT to Korg R3 IN.

i've gone into the Korg's settings and put the appregio clock to MIDI Ext., but the keys don't seem to function after doing so. note: the 606 doesn't have an option for it's tempo to be sync'd, from what i understand it should read the midi signals immediatley.

do i need a DIN Sync interface? recommendations on this would be great, if needed.

thanks to all in advance!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 am

You will need a MIDI to DIN converter since the TR-606 does not have MIDI. If the R3 had an Arpeggiator IN like many older synthesizers, you could trigger with either the Hi or Lo Tom triggers.

I believe there is a company in Canada that sells a simple MIDI / DIN box for about $50 on eBay.

There are many other options to convert MIDI to DIN as well: Novation DrumStation, some Kenton MIDI/CV boxes, early sync boxes like Roland's SBX-10 & 80. I used to use a Roland MSQ-700 sequencer back in the early 90's to sync my TR-808 to MIDI before getting a MIDI retrofit kit installed.

Best of luck!

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 am

The tr-606 does not have MIDI.
(however there are mods/upgrades available)

Roland MSQ-100 sequencers have MIDI/DIN conversion.
(can't say for the MSQ 60, and the MSQ 700)
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 am

Doepfer make one as well.

You need to go from the R3 MIDI out, to the sync box, to the 606. Make sure the 606 is set to receive, and make sure the R3 is set to send MIDI clock (I know nothing about the R3, so you need to check this is possible).

I don't recommend using a MIDI cable for the sync box -> 606 lead though; it depends on the kind of cable it is. Some MIDI leads are only wired with the middle 3 pins. DIN Sync uses the centre pin and outer pair so isn't compatible with the 3-wire MIDI leads. DIN audio leads are fine though as they use all 5 pins, and they're available easily enough for cheap.

Second hand units include Philip Rees and Groove - their M2CV had a sync24 socket installed as an option. Many older Kenton units also include it.