protools to mpc?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
whiteyhouston

protools to mpc?

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:22 pm

hey all.. I have a question here for anyone intimate with MPCs.
I'm thinking of getting one. mc1000 or 500 if it'll suffice

what I need is a midi muti-track sequencer with good resolution.. (i.e. better than the 32nd note limitation of the electribe esx1 I've got).

what I'd like to be able to do is send the midi data from protools to a hardware sequencer. I suppose the data could be simply recorded out from protools to something like an MPC but if there are other solutions to transfer the data, that would be preferable.

this is for live use and just needs to sequence some of my live gear without using a laptop

thanks
-L

system777

Post by system777 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Yo Lyle? If this is you...Its Joe...The Mpc can read midi files, so if you saved your protools as a midi file you should be able to upload it in the MPC....I would get the 1000 only because of the JJ up grade and the screen on the 500 is small for live use ( just my opinion )...Hope all is well with ya...

Joe

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Agreed.

I dumped midi files straight from Tools to my MPC1000. Think I had to do a little cleaning up of stuff like program changes and stuff, but it wasn't too hard.

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:14 pm

bam! sold!!!
I have come to hate the electribe and do all my sequencing n s**t in ptools anyway..

thanks.

and.. Joe!! good to hear from you.
you need to call/email me sometime. I've totally gotten hooked on the modular thing this last year. everything is getting sold off for modules a la Joe 1999

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:27 pm

All MPCs have 96ppqn resolution, I think that is the same as the Electribes.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:08 am

s**t. am I crazy and/or inept?

when I step program on the esx1 I'm stuck at 16th notes (or 32nd's if I jack the tempo). I need to resolve lower.. to have 16ths and 16th triplets in the same phrase, etc... is the electribe capable of finer resolution sequences?

I love the idea of throwing a midi file into a sequencer and being done with it.

this is pretty much just midi sequence data I need it for, not beat creation or xox style programming

there may be better options out there as well for this, but the ability to read a midi file is key since I do 95% of my sequence building in protools

system777

Post by system777 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 am

Good to hear! modular is the way = )... PM me and I send you my Email so we can catch up...Plus I have some tips on the MPC if you need...

Joe