Help! I want a hardware synth but no idea where to start.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Argitoth

Help! I want a hardware synth but no idea where to start.

Post by Argitoth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey doods, I'm a long time software user and I'm so tired of not having the awesome sounds of quality hardware synths. I've been doing a lot of research trying to find the synths right for me. So far I know that moog and korg synths are definitely not what I want. I found Novation synths to sound really great and I think Viruses have lots of potential too, just haven't heard from Virus what I want to hear.

Here's some of the synth sounds I've always wanted to have:
1 minute sound demo: http://shup.com/Shup/47125/synth-needed2.mp3 (all screamyness)
10 minute sound demo: http://shup.com/Shup/47121/synth-needed.mp3 (general stuff)

While I like the Novation sounds I am hearing, the only stuff I could really hear well was from Vintage Synth Explorer and I was only listening to older synths, not the new stuff like Xiosynth and X-station which look cheap and crappy, but again I'm not sure. I don't know if X-station sounds better or just as good as the older hardware.

So yes, please help me find the right synth.

Dane_Xoth
Gear: Attack uWXT Edition uQ Prophecy, W/S ex, MS 2Kr ER1 EA1 RADIAS
A X V Bk Br D SB Station,
DJ70mII R-70 S760
Spectrum Bass+Synth
FB383
Absinthe
Band: Dane[X]oth, Dortmunder

Post by Dane_Xoth » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:55 pm

the awesome sounds of quality hardware synths
This is a misconception.

1. It's not what you got, it's how you use it.
2. It's ALL good.

I have Novation's V-Station and A-Station/KSR/X-Station. Once recorded they are indistinguishable.

There are emulations (ranging in accuraccy) of practically every piece of hardware one could conjure.

If you can't progam those sounds in S/W, then you won't get them out of H/W.

Some may argue that analog has a character SoftSynths/VA's don't have. Fair enough. But i think the issue here is not 'character' but 'style'.
Bend it to fit, Paint it to match.

Argitoth

Post by Argitoth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:35 am

Dane_Xoth wrote:If you can't progam those sounds in S/W, then you won't get them out of H/W.

Some may argue that analog has a character SoftSynths/VA's don't have. Fair enough. But i think the issue here is not 'character' but 'style'.
Are you using hardware at all? There's a big difference between standard software sound and well-defined hardware sound. I'm talking snappy, pumping envelopes, quality filters. Look man, I know what sound I'm looking for and there's not a dam piece of software that can create it. I always hear it in hardware synths.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:25 am

If you know what you're looking for then why are you posting asking for advice? I think you're expecting a bit too much from hardware, it's not gonna magically change your tracks. If you get a hardware synth and just use it the same way you've been using software you won't get any different results.

Those bits of tracks you posted were just generic 303 sounds with what sounded like a lot of digital fx, so your options are:
-Buy a 303. Gigantic waste of money in my opinion.
-Get a hardware clone like the Acidlab Bassline, FR Revolution, x0xb0x etc.
-Get a Novation synth, seeing as you like the sound of them. I think they sound fizzy and lacking in character, but that's just my tastes. I've owned an X-Station and used a Supernova quite a lot, there were subtle differences in sound but build quality was the biggest difference. But this was an early X-Station, by all reports they've gotten better.
-Buy some other hardware synth. I can do decent recreations of the 303 sound on both my V-Synth and my Evolver keyboard, close enough that I sold my x0xb0x. You'd probably like the sound of the Virus too.
-Buy the Audiorealism Bassline 2. It'll get you closer to the sounds you want than most other things, just remember that the biggest thing in those demos you posted was the effects.

I reckon you've probably got something that can do the sounds you need, you just need to figure out how to use it properly to get the sounds you want. Using the right delay, distortion, compression is a big part of that sound.

Argitoth

Post by Argitoth » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:48 am

Here's an example of something that I just can't figure out:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/audio/nova.ram

Listen to the screaming synth bass that comes on 0:30. I think some of you might just think it's just a standard distorted saw with chorus. But I hear more than that. Listen to it. It has a "THOUM" sound to it, not a hard "DOOM" sound. This is an example of the subtlety I'm looking from a hardware synth. I'd pay big bucks for such a small subtlety.

But my frustration has gotten the best of me. (I've been researching synths for 3 days non stop) I'm sorry for using blunt words here, escpecially for this being my first post.

Edit: Actually, I think I just figured it out. I added some attack and fast decay on the resonance and frequency of the filter and it made a "thoum" sound. However, the tone I am getting is like a TB303, not the niceness that I am hearing from the nova sound demo.