Synth Noob Where to Start?!?!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
PittSG33

Synth Noob Where to Start?!?!

Post by PittSG33 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:44 am

hey everyone, first post on the forums!

its cool to see a community where people can talk and hopefully help people who have no clue what they are doing like me so id just like to thank everyone in advance!

for the last 4 years or so i have been fascinated with the sound of synthesizers. Ive been playing guitar in a band for about 3 years and i have really wanted to start using synth in the music i write to add that extra little weird something to it...

the only problem is i really don't know much about synths except i can tell you what i like the sound of and what i know from little demos i have seen and heard on the internet.

i saw a demo for an old roland sh-09 and absolutely loved the sound of it. it just seemed to have the perfect sounds that i am looking for. as i did a little more research i stumbled upon the sh-1 and the sh-1000 and the sh-2 and they all seem to be awesome but they all have different features to them and i am really interested in buying something like that or one of those but really don't know which one to get. or should i even get those?! i don't know why i am drawn to the roland's but they seem the cheapest and easiest but i haven't spent much time looking. id like to stay away from anything dealing with the computer... I'm not the most avid user so id like to stick as close to analog as possible. the most i would like to pay would be 6 or 700 bucks on something to start me out and something not super complicated for someone starting out.... so any suggestions? and is there anything a beginner should know? please enlighten!

thanks!
:)

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 am

I would really recommend a used moog little phatty for just a little bit more $
If you can find a roland sh series synth get it for sure, they are great!

Sounds like you want a good analog mono synth either way, a roland sh would be perfect in that price range though you probably won't get an sh2 for under $700 in the current market. best bet is sh-09 $400-550 and save some dough.
for sale/trade: EML-101

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Post by basssdude34 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 am

you might wanna try looking at an SH-201 from roland...those are marketed towards people learning synthesis and its super easy to use...not to mention it sounds awesome....those are like $595 or something...ive seen em used for $300..

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 am

PittSG33 wrote:i saw a demo for an old roland sh-09 and absolutely loved the sound of it. it just seemed to have the perfect sounds that i am looking for.
hi PittSG33, welcome to the forum. as for the synth, I believe that sound matter most. So, if it sounds best to you, just get it. Only remember to get it within the right price as above mentioned. Also for a unit of it's age, it's best to try it first and check a bit detail out of it, such as: the outputs, knobs, sliders, etc. the sh-09 is one Roland that's desirable, but I would at least comparing it with the sh-02 since it's a more flexible synth. some people thought that they're getting the 02 when they got the 09. Some people are just happy that they're getting the 09 for what it is.
PittSG33 wrote:i don't know why i am drawn to the roland's but they seem the cheapest and easiest
I'm not sure if they're the cheapest or easiest, but they're definitely one of the best. Some other mono synth with midi and patch storage are also cheap and surely easier to work with. But again, they might not have the sound of the old Roland as well.
PittSG33 wrote:is there anything a beginner should know?
you should at least make a hundred post and you'll certainly becoming a better and bigger buyer :lol:
Last edited by crystalmsc on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

PittSG33

Post by PittSG33 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 pm

thanks for all the help guys! ill check into that... and ill start working on 100 posts! :lol:

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am

also maybe start trying stuff with some free softsynths

http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst/emulator

there is some emulations of synths, and if you google it im sure you can find a free VST environment

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:19 pm

On the software front, try TAL Bassline from http://kunz.corrupt.ch

It bears more than a passing resemblence to a certain Roland SH mono analogue... But it's a nice soft synth in its own right.
Stephen(2)