noise problems on my juno60

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: noise problems on my juno60

Post by rhino » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:34 am

my 2-cents

failing by-pass caps. the oscillators are running all the time: the audio leaks into the power busses and into the output amps.

most all VCAs have a pot to trim the 'zero' balance: drift occurs and the osc signal leaks thru, even if the actual VCA circut is ok.

Bross has another good point: wire ties and cable clamps are put in for a reason.... and i'll bet 99.5% of them never get put back in place after service.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

whirlbird
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, Yamaha CS-10, Roland Juno 60, various soft synths

Post by whirlbird » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:42 am

Hi, thanks for the ideas.

So, I really want to be able to record with this thing. Unfortunately, I'm pretty new to electronics stuff and I'm not sure what to try next. It sounds like some of you guys have ideas about what it could be. What should I do to fix it?

I could still post a sound file of the noise too, if there's an easy way to do that.

Thanks again for the help.

winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Post by winningatlife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:23 am

My Juno occasionally does the same thing - I find these are the remedies:

One important thing to check - you aren't daisy chaining powerstrips or surge protectors are you? These can boost the noise in a very undesirable way.

Also, check the output on the back of the Juno, place it on "M" instead of "H" or "L"
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

my juno does this too. doesnt annoy me, it is well known that the juno is a noisy machine.

whirlbird

Post by whirlbird » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Hmm, if it doesn't annoy you I'm guessing something different is happening with yours. I think this would be annoying to anyone trying to record with it. It's definitely not just the natural noisiness of the juno.

I'm not daisy chaining powerstrips or anything like that. I've tried the L, M, and H settings and none of them eliminate the noise. Thanks for the ideas though.

winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

Post by winningatlife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:55 pm

whirlbird wrote:Hmm, if it doesn't annoy you I'm guessing something different is happening with yours. I think this would be annoying to anyone trying to record with it. It's definitely not just the natural noisiness of the juno.

I'm not daisy chaining powerstrips or anything like that. I've tried the L, M, and H settings and none of them eliminate the noise. Thanks for the ideas though.
Well, I find the Juno's signal to be very loud, especially on the 'H' setting. Set up a noise gate set very low for recording in between the Juno and recording device and you should be ok - especially if you are using a Gated envelope or something.

On the other hand for big fading decays or slow building attacks the noise gate would totally suck - or any "quiet" sound for that matter.

Or just record to 2" tape and the tape hiss will hide the Juno noise! haha. (I actually recorded an album this way a few months ago...)

Does changing the LFO or ARP Rate affect the sound?
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:19 pm

can you "play" the sound when no oscillator is on?

whirlbird

Post by whirlbird » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:17 am

Thanks for the idea, I think a noise gate would work for some things like you said. But I want to be able to record quiet stuff and stuff with slow decays.

OK, I just tested every switch on it. I'm listening with headphones but I know the same stuff happens through different amps. Here's what I found:

Every oscillator is off. Without playing anything I can hear a kind of pitched buzz, a high ringing sound as well as some noise. This is always going on.

Then when I play a note (with all the oscillators off still) it rings infinitely. Any notes I play will continue to ring kind of faintly but loud enough to interfere with any recording. The notes will only stop when I play more notes to use up the available voices (6 I guess?).

The ringing notes are affected by:
-pitch bend
-lfo
-chorus
All of these things affect the ringing notes like they would affect notes I'm normally playing.

None of the VCF stuff affects these notes.

With all these ringing notes that original high ringing buzz is still going.

The key transpose, hold, and arpeggio on/off buttons each add a distinct ringing pitch whenever they're lit up/held down. These pitches are always the same (for a given button) and have nothing to do with what keys I play. These are the only things that change the high ringing buzz that's always going. I guess each of them replaces the original buzz with a differently pitched buzz.

OK! Sorry that's so long.. hopefully it makes sense. Thank you so much to people offering suggestions. I really miss being able to use my Juno and would love to get it working right again. Like I said, I'm not very experienced in electronics other than basic soldering and I've never opened up a synth or anything, so I apologize if I don't follow all of your suggestions right away. Let me know if there's anything I could explain better. I could also record all the sounds I just described (anyone know an easy way to do this? it doesn't let you attach wav or mp3 files to forum posts).

Thanks again for your help!

whirlbird

Post by whirlbird » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:26 am

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:04 pm

I am experiencing this same issue.

I used to have a the voices quitely and constantly sustained after pressing the keys, but this issue was fixed by reseating and deoxiting the connector pins by a tech.

Now however, the Juno 60 always has a constant whining noise out of the outputs and headphones. I made sure to check chorus isn't engaged as well.

It would be awesome to crack this issue and have an otherwise silent JU-60. I'll try and get a recording soon.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I read this whole thread and I still think it's one of the DCOs or the master oscillator coupling into the audio output through the power supply. Pull and Deoxit the cables that go to/from the module board. A particular problem area can be the little board that's underneath the pitch stick; the audio output goes to there so it can go through the master volume pot. Check the connections there.

For the record, the Juno 60 does not use the 80017A IC that always fails in the 106. I haven't heard of any particular reliability problems with the VCF or VCA circuits in the 60.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

sleepykeith

Post by sleepykeith » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Nothing to add except I just picked up a Juno 6 that has this same problem and searching for a solution led me here. Would love to know if there's a way to fix it. Surprised there isn't more written about it. Jamming live is tolerable, but it makes it almost unusable in a studio setting. :cry:

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I agree with Rhino's assessment that it's probably a grounding/shielding issue. Pressing the buttons is probably generating some kind of digital hash that's leaking into the audio path. This can sometimes be solved by orienting or routing a wire or harness in a particular direction or by adding conductive shielding (obviously coated with a non-conductive surface so as not to short any PCB components).

It mostly depends if it does it on ALL stock models or only here and there. If it's a design flaw then you'll have to bake up your own solution, if it's something that crops up after being tinkered with, opened up, or as it ages then it's probably just some grounding that needs to be touched up or something that has to be reoriented properly.