I Need To Improve My Voice.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Untouchable_888
Gear: Cheetah ms6
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar
Band: Heart of Thorns

I Need To Improve My Voice.

Post by Untouchable_888 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:56 pm

A lot.

Any advice? I am thinking along the lines of books.

I sound like Lily on Hannah Montanna if anyone knows what i mean. Haha.. Well, not quite, but still, it is not good enough for me.
Please post some recomendations if you know of any.

As far as style is concerned, just my voice in general. I guess "pop" would define it.
My metal voice is fine, and my horror "voice" is fine.
A.D.I.D.A.S.
[All Day I Dream About Synths]

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Re: I Need To Improve My Voice.

Post by basssdude34 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 am

Why not some private vocal classes? I tend to find teachers more helpful then books, but thats just me....

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:25 am

I can't afford a decent teacher. And the last one I had was pushing me to sing classically. Not that i mind that, but..
A.D.I.D.A.S.

~NOVATION IMPULSE 49 -> Cheetah ms6, Roland JP-08, Arturia Minibrute, Kong Volca Keys, bass guitar, <-/-> M-Audio MIDIman 2x4 -> Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 etc.

Gregor Samsa
Gear: Too much (not enough).

Post by Gregor Samsa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 am

If you are just looking for vocal exercises there are any number of solfege books that you could work with- those certainly would exercise your voice. I would suggest some Kodaly method books as well, and you probably could teach yourself that from a book to an intermediate level. Kodaly method combines hand signals with solfege to help the pitch levels sink in to your head faster and it works pretty well, actually. BOTH methods are effective, but certainly not exciting. Any search for 'solfege exercises', 'kodaly exercises', or a search for books of the same subjects should yield results. I haven't worked with either in 15 years in earnest so I'm not sure which to suggest.

There are actually lots of computer programs that work ear training. I don't know if they work the singing end or not- these were pretty new when I was exposed to them and haven't used them in many years now.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 am

my pitch is not the problem. i just falter easily, and i am weak. and people are annoyed by my singing. they say my voice is bad. and annoying.
i am considering mixing it down.
A.D.I.D.A.S.

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:30 am

Alot of people's voices are annoying, and not just there singing ones....Since you've had a teacher in the past then your voice should be pretty good, but i mean i dont know all the much about singing, i just know what i like, and well sometimes short comings in peoples voices can give them that signature singing style, and make them unique...i personally think thats way cooler then your typical idea of a great singer...so if people think your voice is annoying, who gives a s**t, unless of course you yourself are bothered by your own voice, then you might have a problem :wink: .....

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:10 am

There are a few articles here which might help.
I'm not a trained singer myself, but I can promise you that, like anything, with regular practice you can improve your range, intonation, and tone. Best of luck.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:35 pm

Untouchable_888 wrote:Any advice?.
Join a church choir...seriously. Did worlds of good for my singing. And it's free.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:14 am

Untouchable_888 wrote:i am considering mixing it down.
good point. if voice is not the strongest point, mask it with heavy reverb, chorus..even vocoder. Also sometime a vocal doubler or harmony would provide a better musical result than the voice alone.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:57 pm

use a vocoder....
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:38 pm

When I went to record a lead vocal for a song my old band did in the studio I wanted my voice to have a rougher edge than it does, so I guzzled a pint of Jack Daniels and screamed at the top of my lungs for about 20 minutes before I recorded the track.

:blob6:
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Huppo wrote:When I went to record a lead vocal for a song my old band did in the studio I wanted my voice to have a rougher edge than it does, so I guzzled a pint of Jack Daniels and screamed at the top of my lungs for about 20 minutes before I recorded the track.

:blob6:
i dont drink.
basssdude34 wrote:Alot of people's voices are annoying, and not just there singing ones....Since you've had a teacher in the past then your voice should be pretty good, but i mean i dont know all the much about singing, i just know what i like, and well sometimes short comings in peoples voices can give them that signature singing style, and make them unique...i personally think thats way cooler then your typical idea of a great singer...so if people think your voice is annoying, who gives a s**t, unless of course you yourself are bothered by your own voice, then you might have a problem .....
that is pretty much my take. and how i feel. but, the general b***h public thinks otherwise. i love Bryan erickson's clean voce. Though many others hate it. that is a whole different topic, but still. Sometimes I dont mind my voice, but there are times when I cant stand it. my range is real shitty. but i am 20, is my voice even "fully developed"?
A.D.I.D.A.S.

basssdude34

Post by basssdude34 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:32 pm

i think it might be, but then again i dunno when u hit puberty lol...try just runnin through scales in different keys and maybe sit down at a piano and sing along with scales too and try and match the tones...i dunno if thats more warm up related tho, but it helps me...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:29 pm

The reason teachers like to teach classical singing is because it forms the base for your voice to go elsewhere.
The voice is an instrument that needs to be finely tuned over time and lots of practice. Also breathing techniques is extremely important in any type of singing (even growling and screaming). You'll hear famous vocalists go on about their breathing techniques all over the place. Just breathing correctly will make your voice go places you wouldn't even dream of, plus it'll be alot less straining..also, vocalists who don't practice while on tour, usually end up damaging their voice and have to cancel shows because they simply can't speak for a couple of days. This is why many vocalists in both rock and pop bands bring a vocal coach on tour with them. Someone with expertise that can tell when it's going bad and remind you to do the right warmup exercises before going on stage.

It's like learning to crawl before you can run basically. You won't be singing like Dio or Rob Halford immediately.

Untouchable_888
Moog Mother-32
Roland JP-08
Novation Circuit
Korg Volca Sample
bass guitar

Post by Untouchable_888 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:51 pm

Bitexion wrote:The reason teachers like to teach classical singing is because it forms the base for your voice to go elsewhere.
The voice is an instrument that needs to be finely tuned over time and lots of practice. Also breathing techniques is extremely important in any type of singing (even growling and screaming). You'll hear famous vocalists go on about their breathing techniques all over the place. Just breathing correctly will make your voice go places you wouldn't even dream of, plus it'll be alot less straining..also, vocalists who don't practice while on tour, usually end up damaging their voice and have to cancel shows because they simply can't speak for a couple of days. This is why many vocalists in both rock and pop bands bring a vocal coach on tour with them. Someone with expertise that can tell when it's going bad and remind you to do the right warmup exercises before going on stage.
Yes, you are right. I should scale it. Not just jump. I am trying to be like some prodigy.. Foolish me..
Bitexion wrote:It's like learning to crawl before you can run basically. You won't be singing like Dio or Rob Halford immediately.
Or Simon Lebon. Lol.....
A.D.I.D.A.S.