DIY Synth Building

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
SynthiChris

DIY Synth Building

Post by SynthiChris » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:53 pm

In advanced sorry Mods if this is in the wrong forum, I think this Is the best place?

Anyway, Im a sophmore in High School, and at my High School there is a project that last for years called your graduation project. The project is supposed to be on a topic that you would be intrested in college or further on. I've choosen Analog Audio Synthesis (Analog Subtractive), and I know a fair amount about VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, LFOs, Envelopes, Sequencers, Sample and Hold, Polyphony, Timbre, etc... But It has always been in the back of my mind to actually build my own synthesizer. And Hince the project requires a model or project that requires at least about 15 hours of work, I thought this would be a great Idea
Know keeping in mind that Im not a NASA Engineer, and Only know a fair amount about electronics, (I.e I can read Circuit Prints, built some stuff on my RadioShack Electronics Learning Lab) I want to keep the intensity at a simple amount. Im not talking about building a Synthi 100 or Moog Modular, just a simple box with a VCA, VCF, VCO, and like and Envelope. All the sites that I check are pretty intense... But I saw a sound lab from Music From Outer Space
(MFOS)
Looked like pretty cool, but cost alot! Around $250 for me to buy the board, parts, case, soldering Iron, knobs, decals, and shipping... Not my cup of tea.
I thought about just building a VCO, VCA, and VCF... but I I dont know where to get PCB's? Im not the one to make my own, just kinda takes too long and the etchant, mistakes, etc...
Sorry for rambling on, just kinda need some resources, any help would be great!
Chris :)
-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Workstation-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Sequencer Expander-ESQ-1 Voice 80 A Cartridge-Sustain Pedal FSW-1

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Re: DIY Synth Building

Post by Huppo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 am

I made the Minisynth from MFOS and the total cost of parts was about $100. That even included getting the PCB from MFOS. You can put it in any box you want and you dont need decals.

If the Minisynth is too large a project, check out their WSG or 'Weird Sound generator.' Pretty much covers what you're looking for with fewer parts and simpler assembly.

click here

Also check out PAIA's Fatman:

http://www.paia.com/fatman.asp

Might wanna poke around here too:

http://www.elby-designs.com/
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

SynthiChris

Post by SynthiChris » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:36 am

Thanks!
-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Workstation-Ensoniq ESQ-1 Sequencer Expander-ESQ-1 Voice 80 A Cartridge-Sustain Pedal FSW-1

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 am

One thing to consider about DIY is that the components on the board cost very little - what adds up are all the pots, knobs, switches, case, and power supply. The size or number of circuits in a project don't necessarily add up to much, and it's easy to say "oh I'll have three envelopes, two LFOs, a couple of filters..." etc, and then find you need to spend a small fortune on the control panel. So fewer controls and the cheapest kind of enclosure you can find/make are two ways to accomodate a low budget.

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:04 pm

'Tis true. I housed my Minisynth in an old car/truck speaker box with a cutout for a 6x9" speaker. I cut a hole in the opposite side and left the speaker in there with the intent of putting in a small, battery powered amp to make the synth freestanding. The front panel was jsut a rectangle of sheet metal I got from a hardware store for a couple bucks and I drilled the holes myself. The knobs were indeed pricey compared to the few pennies most of the components cost.

When I made the WSG, I housed it in a hinged metal CD case I got for a buck at a dollar store. I just tore the Cd holder pages out.
~huppo

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:12 am

+1 for the fatman, excellent documentation that will definitely teach you quite a bit and you can get an enclosure for it right from Paia

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Pursuant to my post above, here are pics of my Soundlab Minisynth housed in a truck speaker enclosure. The controls aren't labeled yet, but you get the idea.

~huppo

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:25 pm

What about an atari punk console?

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
guesswho

Roland JP-4/Roland JU-1 w/PG-300/Nord Modular G1/M.A.M. ADX1//Casio CZ-1000/doepfer MAQ 16/3/waldorf Pulse+/waldorf micro Q