minimoog model D DC fuse needed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Cybananna

minimoog model D DC fuse needed

Post by Cybananna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Hello, a friend has a model D he just got (for free from a co-worker :shock: ). He wants to bring it by for me to look over because it doesn't make sound. from what he described and according to the service manual, I think it needs a DC fuse before I can even check it out. I've been looking for info but I can't find what fuse it needs. I've either overlooked it or just can't find it on the web...

Anyone know a current part number and specs for it so I can try to get one asap. He's supposed to bring it over this weekend and there's some local electronics suppliers who **should** have something suitable, but I don't know what to get.

Any help is appreciated.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: minimoog model D DC fuse needed

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Do you know what the amp rating of the fuse is, and its (physical) size? You might be able to get one at RadioShack.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Synthaholic wrote:Do you know what the amp rating of the fuse is, and its (physical) size? You might be able to get one at RadioShack.
No, that's what I'm trying to find out. He hasn't brought it over yet and he's out so I can't ask him about it. I **hope** it's a common one but I think it will be late tonight when he brings it and stores will be closed then. I was hoping to pick one up this afternoon. If the fuse is blown we won't get to see if it has other problems until that's fixed.

It may just be a bad connection because he did say there's something going on with the fuse holder. If that's the case and the fuse is good, I should be able to have it up and running with minor surgery. :D

I don't want to bypass the fuse either in case there is some problem that caused the fuse to blow.... that would be bad...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 pm

So how did it come out? If you're still looking for the fuse rating and you can't find it, just try starting with a 1/4 amp fuse. If it blows that, try 1/2A. If it blows that, try 1A. If it blows that, something's wrong with it.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:22 pm

He says it makes no sound, or it doesn't turn on at all? You know, some folks are so newbie they don't know what settings will make sound on an analog synth with no patch memory :P

Like having the EG set all wrong etc..many ways to get fooled if you don't know what's going on.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:31 pm

Does the power light, or any lights come on when it's turned on? Assuming it has a power light (the Mini does, I believe, but I could be wrong... I've never looked at one up close).

If lights come on, or any kind of noise comes out (even if it is just a hiss), then it isn't the fuse.

If nothing happens at all when turned on, it acts like it's off or unplugged, then it *could* be the fuse.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:03 pm

I finally got to see it. The fuse it's self is fine. The connection in the fuse holder is broken (inside the holder). I didn't have a holder and all the stores were closed when I got to see it. (yes, he would have been too newbie to know how to get it to make a sound :lol: #-o ).

Anyway, I was able to solder the broken connection long enough to hold the fuse in place and fire it up.

I checked it out and it worked 100% but several scratchy pots. I cleaned them up and fired it up again. much better. About that time the solder broke free so no more playing.

Now I need to locate an original fuse holder, which I haven't been able to do yet, but I haven't looked that hard honestly. The plan is to find one that will fit to get it running and later replace it with an original or one of the same style.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Reminds me of the story Rick Wakeman told about his first Minimoog back in 1971. He went to the stores to try out this new wonder, but could never afford one. Then he spotted an ad in the newspaper where some guy was giving away his Minimoog because it wasn't working.

So he called the guy, and asked what the problem was. "It only plays one note at a time". Then Rick kinda felt sorry for the guy and explained that it's what a monosynth does, and even offered him some money to part with it, but he'd just said "If that is the case then it is of no use to me at all. You can have it."

And thus his lifelong flirtation with the Minimoog started.