Believable Voice Transformation Assistance

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Pod Bod

Re: Believable Voice Transformation Assistance

Post by Pod Bod » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 am

Thanks spaceboy. You're a pal for doing that. The second recording was better but there's like a rever feedback in it. That's the problem. Everything I've ever heard has that reverb in it. Oh well. That was pretty good though. Thanks.

Pod Bod

Post by Pod Bod » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 am

And there's another problem. I'm running all this on a Mac. Guess that rules out the VH-100 too. Darn. No luck.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 am

the reverb's its own setting on the VT, you can turn it off no problem, i just like messing w/ it too!
glad to help...it was amusing :D

toad

Post by toad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:10 pm

You could also try loading an already recorded file into a sampler, such as the free Shortcircuit http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
and playing the sample back at different pitches, or using pitch bend. It also comes with some
pretty good built in effects, that can sound convincing when used moderately.
Another thing to consider, is that you have to talk at different speeds/rhythms than normally to create an illusion of different people speaking.
Oh yeah, also try this plugin, pretty amazing for a freebie:
http://rekkerd.org/dtblkfx/

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Great demo, space6oy!
And good tips there, toad :)

I actually purchased the AV Voice Changer Software, but ran into some problems. I tried to load some files into its player, but they just 'hung up' in a kind of strange loop. I turned off 'Duplex' and were then able to play back the files. However, without the ability to effect them.
What is the problem here? I have an E-mu 1818m soundcard, and must admit I've never bothered to read up on Duplex, and what it actually means :oops:

Any tips?

Pod Bod

Post by Pod Bod » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks space6oy for going to all that trouble to record that. It sounds decent though again but for the reverb or something that makes it sound less believable. What are you using it for? Singing? Talking? Thanks Toad, I'll give them a try.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 am

glad you guys liked it, thing's definitely a blast to mess with! sorry the reverb had a bad influence for you, pod bod.

haven't even used it in a recording yet, because it's pretty rare anymore that i come up w/ lyrics i like... playing synths or guitar or drums i pretty much go instrumental of late, and when i do use vocals i love to mess w/ them and am usually not going for something realistic. definitely do think it's capable to some extent though!

Pod Bod

Post by Pod Bod » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:25 am

space6oy, can you do another recording with a number of voices with no reverb. Just to get an idea of what it can sound like. I'm afraid to buy this thing. I can't find one on ebay. And they're $600 now, doubled in price in the last month since the company no longer makes them. It sounded good but there seemed to be some kind of interference or reverb or something that made the voices less than believable. As I'd be using this for talking not singing the voices would have to be more believable. Oh and someone told me though I find it hard to believe that this device will duplicate any voice that is input into it. That is, if you miked or input for instance Jay Leno's voice you could store it and then use it as a voice. You know, when you talked into it then Jay Leno's voice would come out instead of yours. Did you ever try to do that? This guy swears he can do that. He says he takes any voice from his television set and stores it then calls people up on this device and when on the phone he sounds like famous people and he swears it really does this. I'm very doubtful. Have you ever heard of this or tried it? Can you give that a try and let us know if it works. I hope it doesn't because then the thing will cost $1,000 to buy as it will become too popular.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:32 am

where are you? there are 4 on ebay right now here in the US. in completed listings 6 have ended between $270 & $375 total.

i can't today or tomorrow but still have it hooked up, will try to throw another w/o reverb together this weekend.
good thing i'm so amused by talking into that thing :)

edit: oh...and all of that about inputting some other voice into the VT so it will mimic that is complete BS.
you can feed a recording in and mess with it, but there's no simple mimicry...or if there is, i'm completely in the dark about that, too.

Pod Bod

Post by Pod Bod » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 am

Hey space6oy thanks for all the help. Do you play music for a living or is it a hobby?

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 am

i wish. just a hobby.

totally sidetracked & forgot to throw that together, sorry!

Pod Bod

Post by Pod Bod » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:37 am

Space6oy, are you familiar with Zebra 2? Incredible synthesizer. Take a listen: http://www.u-he.com/zebra/index.php?item=listen

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:55 am

nope, never used that. i hardly ever use softsynths, though that's changing w/ my DS & nanoloop...plus a friend's hooking me up with a monome...

bouncing another VT demo right now. check back in 5, it'll be up.
i love messing w/ that thing :)

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:58 am

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 am

thank you for the nice three rounds demo which is fun to listen to.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums