Drum Samples In Cubase?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
kylejun06

Drum Samples In Cubase?

Post by kylejun06 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Hi, I have a question about Cubase. I've been using FL Studio for the last year or so, and I've loved using it because of how easy it is to make drum patterns and arrange songs. But now, I feel that I can do much more with other programs, such as Cubase. I have SX3 right now, and I'm going to upgrade to 4.

Anyways, what made the drum patterns in FL so easy was the fact that I could take any drum sample and use them as a channel in FL Studio and arrange the notes in the step sequencer. But, I see it's not the same in Cubase. To be honest, I don't even know how to make drum patterns in Cubase. I want to be able to use the samples that I've gathered over the years, such as Vengeance Clubsounds, in Cubase like I've done in FL.

Basically, can anyone help me out on this? I want to be able to use drum samples in Cubase. Thanks!

- Kiyuhl
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Drum Samples In Cubase?

Post by Altitude » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:09 pm

That would be the duty of a sampler. There are tons of different ones with different features.

KVR is a good place to start (with free ones also). Personally, I like the Linplug RMIV, it allows you plenty of controls for each sample, the ability to use multiple samples per sound, and it also has an analog modeled drum synth built it.

Here is a list of 55 on KVR

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=re ... 5&start=30

(copy the whole link, the board does not like [])

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:32 pm

You can just drag & drop the samples in a new audio track, but that may not be what you want ;). As for the sampler, use Cubase's own LM7 (primitive) or get something better like ShortCircuit (sounds really good, too - I find it often more fun to use than Kontakt 3).

A better idea would be to get something like Guru and load up the samples in there. Then you'll have the step-sequencer back again.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

kylejun06

Post by kylejun06 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Yoozer wrote: A better idea would be to get something like Guru and load up the samples in there. Then you'll have the step-sequencer back again.

I looked at the Guru program, and it looks promising for what I wanna do. So if I ran it in Cubase, I just run it as a VST instrument in a midi track and then arrange drum parts in there? Have you had any experience with it?
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:40 pm

A great free sampler is Highlife.
I've got FL and C4 and you might just want to use FL as a VST in cubase. Then you get the best of both worlds.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery