SH-101 and TB-303: CV In/Out

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

SH-101 and TB-303: CV In/Out

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:22 am

Okay so I wanted to test the CV in on my SH-101 using a TB-303 pattern I programmed. I have a mono 1/8 jack that I plugged into the CV in of the SH-101 and the CV out of the TB-303.

No sound came out of the SH-101 when I hit play on the TB-303 and whenever I press keys on the SH-101 no notes are audible save this weird tone that comes out whenever I hit any key.

I hope neither unit is broken and this is just an oversight on my end. I really wanted to test the CV on the SH-101 before buying a MIDI-CV adapter.
Darren

Re: SH-101 and TB-303: CV In/Out

Postby Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:28 am

The CV/Gate inputs will override the keyboard on your SH - so don't panic there.

Double check you connections. If that's correct, try different cables. If that doesn't work, hooking up another synth to both units.

For troubleshooting, remember CCCEq (SEEK): Controls, Connections, Cables, Equipment.

Today, I received a TB-303 I purchased. I haven't meesed with one in over 15 years. I forgot how much of a pain they are to program. I'm still at my furniture shop, where I also have my 101. I'd try hooking them up, but I don't think I have any cables with mini plugs on both ends. I have may at home, so I'l try that tomorrow.

Best of luck.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:35 am

Thanks for the reply. That put some worries I had to rest. I will try a different cable.

Are there any kind in specific that I should check out first? The one I got was from Radio Shack, and I don't have a mutltimeter to see if it's good or not.

Thanks again.
Darren

Postby Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:15 am

Curiosity got the best of me, so I ran down to GC beore they closed and bought some adapters (can never have too many). I successfully triggerd both my SH-101 and Korg MonoPoly with the TB-303 (not at the same time, though). I'll make a vid and put it on YouTube.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:42 am

Hey that's great! What kind of cable did you pick up? Just a generic brand?
Darren

Postby Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 am

I had a Hosa brand dual RCA (Phono) to RCA cable. So I bought some RCA to Mini (1/8") adapters for the Rolands and some RCA to Phone (1/4") adapters for the Korg.

Uploading the video to YouTube right now. It takes a while for it to upload, so check out my SH-2 / 101 video and then check the "More From zibbybone" later on tonight or tomorrow for the 303 vid. I'm going to bed...
Attachments
100_1537.JPG
100_1537.JPG (116.02 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:12 am

Just one question... you say you have "a" cable that you pluggged into the CV... you did plug the Gate in too, didn't you? The CV just provides a voltage that determines the pitch; the Gate acts as note on/off. If you were plugging the 303's CV into the 101, and triggering the 101's gate frm the keyboard, I'm not surprised it sounded wrong!

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using adapters. The connections are a bit wobbly on a lot of them, and the weight of the plug can cause connection problems sometimes. I always make my own cables, but if you're not into that I'd recommend regular mono minijacks.

Making your own leads is worth getting into, though. You know the quality, you can make them exactly the right length, and can choose your materials. Home made leads are way better than cheap patchleads any day.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Altitude » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:53 pm

nathanscribe wrote:JI'd recommend regular mono minijacks.

cosign.

you can get 1/4" to 1/8" mono ones at radio shack
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Darren » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks a lot; I really appreciate the help I have received.

Yes I have one 1/8" mono going from CV in on the SH-101 to the CV out of the TB-303, and the Gate in on the SH-101 into the Gate out on the TB-303 (also 1/8"). Both cords were bought from Radio Shack. The ones I bought say "Attenuating Audio Cable." They looked like 1/8" mono plugs to me which is why I bought them.

The TB-303's run light kind of dims when I hit play. I'm not sure if this is normal since all the lights freak out on me whenever I go into song mode.

cables: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

I am still unable to get anything to come out the SH-101. All the cables in in the respective jacks, The TB-303 plays patterns when the CV/Gate cables are not hooked up (as well as the SH-101).

The only thing I can think of is the chords or my equipment is broken (not good!)

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: the TB-303's run light no longer flickers, and I have no idea why.
Darren

Postby Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Sounds like you have everything hooked up correctly and you have the right cables. Try different cabes first and then try hooking up other CV/Gate gear to both synths. Hopefully, it's just a cable issue and not an equipment issue.

Best of luck.

BTW: Here's the video I made last night with my 101, 303 & MP-4
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Oh right well there you go. You have the WRONG cables.

You have some "attenuating" cables, which means they have a resistor in there to lower the signal level. They're designed for going from line level audio to low-level inputs.

Get thee some NORMAL minijack cables, and all will be well, I predict.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Z » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 pm

OK, I was wrong about the cables. I never knew such cables existed. I need to see if they make a stereo version to use with m YouTube videos. When available, I've been running the instruments through a Mackie 1202 and turning the volume low as to not distort the sound running into the mic jack on the camcorder.

As Nathanscribe said, go buy standard cables and you should be in business. For both of our sakes, I'm glad he brought that to our attention.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 am

I feel like a real idiot now; I went out bought the cables got a pattern going and it worked. Thanks again for the help everyone, and Z I really like how your 626 sounds when ran through the SH-2's filter. I am going to have to try something similar (I really liked the results).
Darren

Postby Z » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:31 am

No need to feel like an idiot - we're here to help. I'm glad Nathanscribe pointed out the problem with the cables. We both learned something today. Glad you got it working.

Thanks for the compliment on the SH-2 video. Remember you need a synth with an external input that can be routed to the synth's filter. It also helps when there is an envelope follower for the filter. Not too many synths have that.

See you 'round the forum!
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 am

It's often the simple things...
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Return to HELP!