moog the source

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
myonus

moog the source

Post by myonus » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:37 am

trying to find the original wav files to bring this old thing to original sounds. ones i can use the tape interface for. also looking for a service manual and insrtuction manual . i cant find anything so far. if anyone has any suggestions or links or anything would be very helpful. *pulling hair out*
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Synthazaiser
Gear: B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606

Re: moog the source

Post by Synthazaiser » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:10 am

You will have to locate a data cassette to load presets onto any synth with a tape interface. Not being a sampler, wav files of the presets will not do any good in restoring sounds. As for your data cassette, I cannot help you.
Currently have: Baby Grand Piano, B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606
Used to have: POLY-800, TR-505, Techstar TS-306, DX7, ESI-32, Juno-106, DX27, Synthcart, JX-3P, ESQ-M, Mono/Poly, MS2000BR, VX90

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:19 am

Just make your own patches. You'll learn a lot more by messing around with this machine than you ever will by loading in the factory presets. Sadly, the Source offers the least user friendly interface of all the Moog synthesizers. However, it has the sound to live up to the name, and the interface isn't really all that bad assuming the membrane switches still work.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Don't need a cassette player and tape to play the WAV file.

The tape recorder just plays back the screeching wav file (pulsecode modulation, all the data is inside the screeching sound) into the Tape Load input that can decode it back to data. All you need is a cable from the computer output to the tape input on the synth, experiment to find the right playback volume, set the synth to Tape Load mode, and hit Play in mediaplayer or winamp or whatever. It is the sound that matters, if it is too low it won't register in the synth, if it's too high it will clip and not register. Should be just a short series of screeches, as the data is tightly packed into 1 and 0's (sound and no sound on the tape). Tape loading on old computers work the same way (like the C64, amstrad, spectrum etc)

I did this with my Juno-106 to transfer factory presets. No need for old tape recorders and tapes these days.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 pm

When I had my Source, I got the User and Service manuals from this site: http://www.oldschool-sound.com/index.php?rub=3 (site is French but the PDF's are in English). However, despite the fact that there are still listings for them, it seems the links don't work at the moment. Maybe the site is just having a temporary storage problem? I'd keep checking back periodically to see if they put them back up. I can't find any other sites that have these manuals for free.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

eisbich

Post by eisbich » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:24 pm

i have 2 sources sometime i will load patches, the operation manual has all the patch values at the back i have a manual you should be able to download a pdf manual and manually load not many to do i manually put in 50 patches out of seq sixtrack a few years back,only 16 on source
natukuri