Roland XP-80 Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ShadowsWithin

Roland XP-80 Problem

Post by ShadowsWithin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:11 am

I have a Roland XP-80 and i wan't to use it as a master controller for my X50 and X5, but still want to use it as a source for the sounds on it, but when i plug in Midi in and Out to my audio card after a while you will hear weird sounds in the audio samples, it is a problem with the XP or am i just stupid when it comes to MIDI set-ups.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: Roland XP-80 Problem

Post by Maschinengeist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:59 am

Could be a bunch of things. Does the XP-80 make that sound when used alone (not hooked to anything)? Does your soundcard (midi equipped?) make that sound when used with something else? What it that weird sound you talk about? Can you describe it or record a sample for us?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

ShadowsWithin

Post by ShadowsWithin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:28 am

Maschinengeist wrote:Could be a bunch of things. Does the XP-80 make that sound when used alone (not hooked to anything)? Does your soundcard (midi equipped?) make that sound when used with something else? What it that weird sound you talk about? Can you describe it or record a sample for us?
I never have that problem with my soundcard or the XP unless i plug it in like that, it happend over a month's span and im afraid to use it like that just in case it does it again, but now that i think about it I think my X5 was the one that was giving me the wierd sound and i recently brought it in to be repaired (LONG story: i went in for an update and the guy said "oh man is that your keyboard with just the keys and the entire body missing?" i said "s**t i hope not...." sure enough one little piece was missing that triggers the sound when i press the key down, and now i need to get a whole new key board) and he said while he was looking into the key problem he also fixed some internal problems, now im starting to wonder if that sound was part of the problem...

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 am

Ok so that might be the X5. But changing the whole keyboard? To 'fix' the noise problem? I'm not sure I'm following, sorry.

But the X5 does the noise on its own and not only when hooked up? I'll have to look at my schematics.
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

ShadowsWithin

Post by ShadowsWithin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:55 am

naw they had to replace some keys that busted off but the pressure pad under the key broke off as well and they cant send us just that part, so korg is sending the repairman the key board of a X5D to replace mine, which is stupid but as long as im not paying an arm and a leg :p and while he was taking it appart he noticed some electrical problems in the board a fixed though, so im hoping this problem was one of them.

the X5 will make that sound (after a long period of tome) when i hook up midi in and out into my audio card and is running a line into my mixer as well so when i record the noise will be in the background of the recording, and its basically a high pitched ringing kind of like when a tv is on and your in another room.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Looks like you've got a transistor/op-amp somewhere in the X5 that is behaving (ie slowly dying)
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free