A few questions about performing live.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Haydn

A few questions about performing live.

Post by Haydn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:56 am

Ok, so I've been making electro/house music and I'm looking to eventually begin performing live. The thing is though, most of my biggest influences (Daft Punk, Justice, MSTRKRFT, etc.) all seem to be DJ's and perform live with turntables. This is a problem for me as I know nothing about DJing, doing all that beatmatching stuff, etc.

A few days ago I saw Felix Cartal live and it seemed to me that he wasn't using turntables and was just using an M-Audio UC-33 Midi Control Surface (Which, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, basically just has a bunch of knobs, buttons and sliders).

Assuming my hunch was correct and that he was just using the UC-33, how would I set up a live environment on my laptop for performing just with this thing? I want to be able to do all the same things as DJ's do (controlling effects in real time, mixing and matching tracks, etc.) with the UC-33, without having to buy turntables and go through the process of learning how to use them.

Thanks a lot.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: A few questions about performing live.

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:29 am

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:49 am

If you are going to dj then of course you have to learn to beatmatch, mix, eq and put together a set. You don't have to buy turntables and fx units unless you want to. I use Serato Scratch with turntables but for the times the tables get left at home I just use a trigger finger.

Like stab pointed to, ableton live gets used a lot for dj'ing. Here is one of their official video's that gives an overview of it for dj'ing.

Ableton Live: For Djs

Turntables aren't hard to use and these days I don't see an awful lot of people getting into them. These days most dj apps support midi devices like Serato and Traktor.

Most likely you will go with Ableton Live but that's entirely up to you and what you want. Serato might put you off because it's so basic. Traktor might be a better choice but Ableton def gets lots of use these days. Look around, watch vids and try demo's if you can.

Good luck.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Haydn

Post by Haydn » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I know I'm going to have to learn to beatmatch and put together a set, I just didn't want to have to buy turntables and learn how to beatmatch on those, but Ableton Live looks perfect.

Thanks again!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 am

I just remembered this.

How to DJ with Ableton Live

Ableton Live actually has a session tutorial in it but that one might help too.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: