Roland Sh-2 issues, issues, issues...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
TRANSISTOR FACE

Roland Sh-2 issues, issues, issues...

Post by TRANSISTOR FACE » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:27 am

Alright so yeah, I've recently started using my sh-2 again... It was the first true analog synth I bought and apparently I didn't check it out very well before buying it cause well, I didn't know any better. Good thing I didn't pay a fortune for it.

Still though, Its a shame that it's acting up.

Basically, it's got really low outputs... so I take it it's got dying op-amps somewhere in there...

The keys double-trigger, so I need to clean the contacts... somehow...

And finaaaally (and most dreaded) it squiggles out of tune every now and then... Well, It plays fine-ish most of the times when I'm controlling it via-cv/midi. In tune for a bit when I hold down the key... then it starts to squiggle a bit. When I play the sh-2's keyboard however it's a different story. The pitch "flattens" when I go up an octave and does a bit of that squiggling thing.

Oh yeah, and the master tuning pot is ridiculously sensitive...

Anyways, I've been waiting for this day to come and now it has. I need to read-up on my electronics and get my hands dirty.

where do I start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

chamomileshark

Re: Roland Sh-2 issues, issues, issues...

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Interesting. I had issues with my SH2 making bizarre cat like yowls when using the keyboard. I took it for repair in 1981 to Roland. They couldn't find an answer and it was rare occurance and it seemed to settle down. Now it does it sometimes but is ok under control by my Kenton.

I just added that as it might not be an age issue.