CS-15 question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
octopede
Gear: lots of cables, lights and knobs
Band: Dormir, Cities of Earth

CS-15 question

Post by octopede » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:29 am

Just got my grubby mitts on one of these, but I'm new to this synth, so maybe someone has an answer for this: it's in great shape, no drifting VCOs or anything, but I do notice that every key press produces a slight percussive attack...especially annoying when I'm trying to play legato and I don't want to hear any attacks. EGs have no effect on this, so my question is: is this normal for the CS-15? Does it just have this 'punchier' character?
-----

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Re: CS-15 question

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:38 am

Does it do it with slow attack?
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:37 am

I think they're(the EGs) wired multi-trigger. I had to pull the CV cables to make sure I remembered correctly.
You can set them to single trigger, like you want, by playing it/them through a Midi to CV converter. Both the Kentons and the Encore Expressionist let you choose the trigger mode.
The envelopes are quick, though.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:35 pm

There's the multi-triggering yes, but it could also be the Glide parameter on the oscillators.

The "Glide" function isn't for portamento, but rather a separate pitch envelope for each VCO. If it's set to anything but 0
the pitch will jump a little up or down before resting on the actual pitch, how fast depends on the Glide Time parameter.

octopede

Post by octopede » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Bitexion wrote:There's the multi-triggering yes, but it could also be the Glide parameter on the oscillators.

The "Glide" function isn't for portamento, but rather a separate pitch envelope for each VCO. If it's set to anything but 0
the pitch will jump a little up or down before resting on the actual pitch, how fast depends on the Glide Time parameter.
It actually sounds a little like this, yes, but the knob is set as far counter-clockwise as it goes, so I'm wondering if this pot might need to be fiddled with a little bit...? This unit also multi-triggers on a single key press sometimes...2 very quick triggers in rapid succession, like a slight stutter. This thing was sitting, unplayed, in someone's basement for nearly 3 decades, so I anticipate it may be due for a check-up.
-----

octopede

Post by octopede » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:49 pm

DERP! Bitexion, you're totally right, several gold stars. In my dark studio, I had the VCO glide depths turned all the way left, thinking this = off; of course, it doesn't, straight up = off (aka 0). I turn them both to 0 and that little attack mostly disappears. So...operator error. Thanks for the advice, though...I hope to get a converter soon and play with the duophonic capabilities of this thing.
-----

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:49 am

Hehe, easy to make that mistake, it's a very unusual feature, I've never seen it on anything else.
Which is what makes me wonder why the CS15 doesn't have oscillator sync. That Glide function is BEGGING to make sync sweeps. Great way to make bass sounds more punchy with +5 glide and short glide time, though.
You can set +5 or -5 semitones as the starting point for the "glide". I instantly knew you'd made that error when you said the glide knobs were turned all the way to the left in your first reply. Glad you figured it out yourself though :)

I thought my CS15 was totally broken, because it would never shut up, always droned the last note I pressed.
It was the "Initial level" knob on the VCA that wasn't set to zero, thus making the VCA always let through a small signal. Live and learn :)

octopede

Post by octopede » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Bitexion wrote:I thought my CS15 was totally broken, because it would never shut up, always droned the last note I pressed.
Oh yeah, I went through that droning when I first started messing with this thing..."why the h**l won't this shut up?!" :) Thanks for the glide-bass idea, though - the glide is definitely a feature I'll have to play around with more.
-----

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Bitexion wrote:...it's a very unusual feature, I've never seen it on anything else.
Which is what makes me wonder why the CS15 doesn't have oscillator sync. That Glide function is BEGGING to make sync sweeps.
I totally agree. I would love to hear osc sync more than serial filters on the 15(not that I don't want both). And, yeah, the glide section is another great tool. Having both gliding the same direction with slightly different depth can be subtle but effective - say, on like brassy type sounds and such. It really sucks that you lose the glide functions under external control - especially, since it can be a great sound shaper. Kinda win/lose when controlling it externally.