polysix tuning issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: polysix tuning issues

Post by sam » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:38 pm

I am sure it's the chip i mentioned but it's quite hard to remove ....I had one in this weekend that had the same problem. The battery fault can lead to many issues on that board.

If the memory is no issue then i guess you should let it be.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

MacroComposer
Band: MacroComposer

Post by MacroComposer » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm working on a battery damaged polysix right now, and because of the double sided PCB tracks desoldering ICs off it is an absolute nightmare. Also, does anybody know of a modern replacement for the Toshiba TC-5514 SRAM?

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:22 am

try at jameco... 6514 4x1k :) it's good replacement :)

Europe Endless
Gear: Minimoog model D, Prophet 5 3.3, MultiTrak, Juno-60, 3xPolysix, Trident MkI & MkII, DW8000, DX7IIFD, KX88, and DIY Digisound SSM-based mono.

Post by Europe Endless » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Not too sure about the 6514... OK, it´s a pin for pin replacement and I´m sure it will work, but looking at the datasheets for both the TC5514APL and the 6514 reveals that the standby current for the 6514 can be up to 50 times higher than the 5514. Battery lifetime will be really short. Instead of 10 years you´ll be looking at something like two months. As long as you keep the original backup battery (or replace it with the same, rechargeable type) and turn on the synth at least every month you´ll be fine, but if you´ve modified it and use a coin cell instead you´re in trouble...

n2000

Post by n2000 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:57 am

Hi there-
i recently purchased a used korg polysix. i've read a lot about bad batteries in these keyboards--but the person from whom i purchased it had recently changed the battery, and upon examination after opening it up, it seems to be fairly clean, without any visible corrosion etc from battery leakage/explosion.
the problem--it seems to be "stretch" tuned. i dial up a pure 8' tone and tune the middle C using the master tuning knob, and then as i ascend the notes get gradually sharper, and by the time i get to the highest C it is a little over 20 cents sharp...
the same thing happens when i descend, but it's the opposite...and by the time i get to the lowest C it is nearly 30 cents flat.
so chords/octaves etc sound pretty out of tune at the moment. it is strange, because it is very gradual--almost as if someone had it tuned like this intentionally. everything else seems to be working though...
unfortunately i'm a bit in the dark when it comes to the internal electronics of this instrument. i don't know if i'm quite qualified to take care of this myself....any suggestions?
thanks!
nate

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:44 pm

n2000 wrote:Hi there-
i recently purchased a used korg polysix. i've read a lot about bad batteries in these keyboards--but the person from whom i purchased it had recently changed the battery, and upon examination after opening it up, it seems to be fairly clean, without any visible corrosion etc from battery leakage/explosion.
the problem--it seems to be "stretch" tuned. i dial up a pure 8' tone and tune the middle C using the master tuning knob, and then as i ascend the notes get gradually sharper, and by the time i get to the highest C it is a little over 20 cents sharp...
the same thing happens when i descend, but it's the opposite...and by the time i get to the lowest C it is nearly 30 cents flat.
so chords/octaves etc sound pretty out of tune at the moment. it is strange, because it is very gradual--almost as if someone had it tuned like this intentionally. everything else seems to be working though...
unfortunately i'm a bit in the dark when it comes to the internal electronics of this instrument. i don't know if i'm quite qualified to take care of this myself....any suggestions?
thanks!
nate
The Polysix service manual provides clear, written instructions on how to calibrate the keyboard scaling of the pitch. All you need is a decent tuner, a small flat panel to trim the pots on the board and a little time and patience. You may have to carry the procedure out six times - once for each voice.

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm

n2000 wrote: the problem--it seems to be "stretch" tuned. i dial up a pure 8' tone and tune the middle C using the master tuning knob, and then as i ascend the notes get gradually sharper, and by the time i get to the highest C it is a little over 20 cents sharp...
nate
It may indeed be stretch tuned. Part of the calibration procedure is to flip a switch to check it in stretch tune mode, so it may have been left that way by accident as the service manual neglects to mention that it should be switched back! There's a switch on the left side of the main voice board (KLM366) near the multipin connector with the green wires. Check that it's switched towards the back of the synth, not the front.

Best of luck with it, it's a lovely synth!

Frank

n2000

Post by n2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:51 am

thanks guys...
i am in fact working on this now, and have the "mini-manual" provided here: http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... index.html

so in step number 1 of the "PITCH check and adjustment" when it says "change circuit board slide switch to opposite position (away from VR1)"-- is this the switch on the KLM-366 that frank refers to?

and so when working on the intonation, from the beginning, is it supposed to be away from the back? or away from the keyboard side? i'm confused by the "away from VR1"---the VR1 it's right next to? how can it be away from it? it's right next to it...or maybe away from the VR1 below it, on the KLM-396 board?

and in step 10--"switch SW1 to the front while playing...."---meaning said switch on the KLM-366 board right? b/c both that switch and the normal/test switch say "SW1" right next to them, on the boards...
but i'm assuming that it's the switch on the KLM-366 board, in which case it is to be moved to the front, meaning, towards the keys, and then of course, after calibration, back towards the back, away from the keys?

and what about the normal/test switch on the KLM-367 board?
in the "(7) PITCH check and adjustment" section, it is not mentioned, as far as i can tell...

ok, sorry for the tedious inquiries, but thanks so much for your help....

nate

n2000

Post by n2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

oh--and this is probably a stupid question--but in step 4 when it refers to the KLM-396--you have to remove the actual keyboard to access this, correct?
thanks again...
nate

dr funk

Post by dr funk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:14 am

n2000 wrote:thanks guys...
i am in fact working on this now, and have the "mini-manual" provided here: http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... index.html
Hi Nate. You can download the full version of the service manual here:

http://www.chromatest.net/POLY6_Service_Ensemble.pdf
n2000 wrote:so in step number 1 of the "PITCH check and adjustment" when it says "change circuit board slide switch to opposite position (away from VR1)"-- is this the switch on the KLM-366 that frank refers to?
Yep. It's between VR1 and VR2.
n2000 wrote:and so when working on the intonation, from the beginning, is it supposed to be away from the back? or away from the keyboard side? i'm confused by the "away from VR1"---the VR1 it's right next to? how can it be away from it? it's right next to it...or maybe away from the VR1 below it, on the KLM-396 board?
Yeah, ya gotta love these service manuals... :lol: As I already mentioned, just make sure that it's switched towards the back of the synth, not the front.
n2000 wrote:and in step 10--"switch SW1 to the front while playing...."---meaning said switch on the KLM-366 board right? b/c both that switch and the normal/test switch say "SW1" right next to them, on the boards...
but i'm assuming that it's the switch on the KLM-366 board, in which case it is to be moved to the front, meaning, towards the keys, and then of course, after calibration, back towards the back, away from the keys?
Correct! As far as I could make out, you only switch it to the front for step 10, then switch it back.
n2000 wrote:and what about the normal/test switch on the KLM-367 board?
in the "(7) PITCH check and adjustment" section, it is not mentioned, as far as i can tell...
No, that's only used in the first part of the calibration - PSU and KLM367.

Cheers
Frank

n2000

Post by n2000 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:39 am

much appreciated frank! learned how to work on my hammond and my wurly, but this is my first foray into working on anything synth-related...so the help is much appreciated!
anyway, gonna get into this tomorrow...
nate

n2000

Post by n2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 am

ok, so regardless, i made some drastic improvements.
but i'm just curious about a couple things, and wondering if i actually followed the instructions correctly...

step 4: the VR1 switch is referred to on the KLM-396. i'm confused about the whereabouts of this board. on the diagram-(the "fixed resistors diagram") it appears to be in the lower left-hand corner of KLM-366...but i don't see it anywhere. then i began to wonder if the VR1 on the KLM-396 is just the same as the VR1 on KLM-366? but that seems doubtful to me, in that the VR1 on KLM-366 is referred to in step 12. so that leads to me to think they're not the same.
also, on the KLM-366 schematic (for the "new production") it says something about KLM-366 including KLM-396?
does any of this make sense?

anyway--if anybody knows anything about this, let me know....
thanks!
nate

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 pm

n2000 wrote:step 4: the VR1 switch is referred to on the KLM-396. i'm confused about the whereabouts of this board. on the diagram-(the "fixed resistors diagram") it appears to be in the lower left-hand corner of KLM-366...but i don't see it anywhere. then i began to wonder if the VR1 on the KLM-396 is just the same as the VR1 on KLM-366? but that seems doubtful to me, in that the VR1 on KLM-366 is referred to in step 12. so that leads to me to think they're not the same.
also, on the KLM-366 schematic (for the "new production") it says something about KLM-366 including KLM-396?
does any of this make sense?
If I recall correctly there are two versions of the Polysix. The older design has a "VR1" trimpot on a separate, smaller PCB that's slightly raised (KLM-396) whilst the revision omits this board entirely as the KLM-396 is not necessary with the redesigned KLM-366. I read this here:

http://www.butoba.net/polysix/p6boards.txt

So does your Polysix definitely match this diagram exactly?

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... p6smm9.pdf

n2000

Post by n2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:If I recall correctly there are two versions of the Polysix. The older design has a "VR1" trimpot on a separate, smaller PCB that's slightly raised (KLM-396) whilst the revision omits this board entirely as the KLM-396 is not necessary with the redesigned KLM-366. I read this here:

http://www.butoba.net/polysix/p6boards.txt
ok, that makes sense...
OriginalJambo wrote:So does your Polysix definitely match this diagram exactly?

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... p6smm9.pdf
no--it doesn't have the KLM-396. so obviously it's one of the "new production" keyboards...
so i suppose step 4 is just omitted in this case?
anyway, thanks so much for all the input/feedback...
nate

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:46 am

n2000 wrote:no--it doesn't have the KLM-396. so obviously it's one of the "new production" keyboards...
so i suppose step 4 is just omitted in this case?
anyway, thanks so much for all the input/feedback...
nate
Mine does have the KLM-396 so it must be an older production. Sorry I can't be of more help but if it sounds okay and everything seems to be working otherwise I'd definitely just leave it be.

Anyway, no problem - enjoy the synth!