Alesis Ion Help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Alesis Ion Help

Post by brian.only » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 am

Hey All-
Just picked up an Ion after years of curiosity.
I'm not terribly versed on menu style synths so excuse the simple query's.
Checked the manual already a handful of times and while informative as to the function, does'nt explain the operation too well...

1) Cant figure out to change Set-ups( stuck in 00), I cant find the trick to moving the highlighted selection on the home page. :oops:

2) I'm the second owner of this synth, and all the user presets are filled w/ patches that have extreme modulation.
Is there a way to reset a program/patch to just a simple osc setting and no modulation?

3) Where's the function to turn off the velocity curve for the keyboard( ala vintage poly)? I've found the menu to edit the curves but not a way to turn it off or make all notes 127. The keybed feels somewhat fragile and I'd rather not have to play rough w/ it.

The presets are abysmal but its a really sweet synth all n' all. Like the 'parts' setup and 3rd mod wheel esp!
I was looking for a gig synth so I could leave the grandparents in the studio and think I've finally found it, also excited to control the K station w/ it. The filters are also convincingly analog even at high res values- Nice job alesis!
sell me your KS5!

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: Alesis Ion Help

Post by Big Gnome » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 am

brian.only wrote:1) Cant figure out to change Set-ups( stuck in 00), I cant find the trick to moving the highlighted selection on the home page. :oops:
Hit the 'Recall Setup' button just above the keyboard.
2) I'm the second owner of this synth, and all the user presets are filled w/ patches that have extreme modulation.
Is there a way to reset a program/patch to just a simple osc setting and no modulation?
The very last option of the Store menu allows you to reset a patch to a plain sine wave.
3) Where's the function to turn off the velocity curve for the keyboard( ala vintage poly)? I've found the menu to edit the curves but not a way to turn it off or make all notes 127. The keybed feels somewhat fragile and I'd rather not have to play rough w/ it.
Velocity can be routed in the modulation matrix, and there is a hardwired parameter in for each envelope right after the release parameter.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Re: Alesis Ion Help

Post by brian.only » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for the tips!

Heh - I found the Setup buttons shortly after I posted this, I was so wrapped up in the menu I did'nt look down far enough.

cheers
b
sell me your KS5!