Novation Bass Station - Boss distortion problems

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Hellhound
Gear: Novation Bass Station Rack, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Alesis Midiverb II, Akai S2000 Sampler & Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro.

Novation Bass Station - Boss distortion problems

Post by Hellhound » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey guys. I recently bought a Boss DS-1 as my first pedal hoping to use it on my bass station. But when I play my bass station through it, the bass station crackles and hums a lot, even on low distortion settings. When the distortion is cranked up I can hear the oscillator's when no keys are pressed. How can I remove the unwanted noise?
Da funk back to the punk!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Novation Bass Station - Boss distortion problems

Post by Solderman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 pm

As far as I know, the BassStations, at least some of them, have a problem with initial gain, so they drone faintly when not playing notes. The distortion pedal boosts the synth's gain enough to make this more obvious.

You might try reducing the volume of the BassStation, and max out the pedal's output volume to try and prevent crackling. As for hum, you would have to identify if the hum source is the synth or the pedal. If it's the synth, you could try connecting it to the pedal with a Ground Loop Isolator.(Be sure to buy a pair of RCA to 1/4 inch plug adapters: Most GLI's use RCA jacks.) If it's the pedal, try using just batteries and if it still hums, the pedal is pretty much no good for this application.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:58 pm

Guitar pedals can be somewhat hit-or-miss when used on synths (due to level and impedance mismatches), and I've found this to be especially true when it comes to fuzz and distortion pedals (modulation and delay pedals usually get along better with synths). You may just have to try a few different pedals before you find one that sounds good.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Solderman wrote:As far as I know, the BassStations, at least some of them, have a problem with initial gain, so they drone faintly when not playing notes. The distortion pedal boosts the synth's gain enough to make this more obvious.
if this is the case, you might just be stuck with the noise. the DS-1 is a noisy pedal in general, to my ears, so you might just stick a cheap noise gate pedal after it to hush the fizz in the quiet spaces.

Hellhound
Gear: Novation Bass Station Rack, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Alesis Midiverb II, Akai S2000 Sampler & Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro.

Post by Hellhound » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:55 am

Thanks for the help guys. I think these two just don't work well together. The only way to get rid of the noise completely is to have basically no distortion at all. So, I guess I'll just have to find a better pedal. Can anyone suggest any?
Da funk back to the punk!