Doing my own basic repair

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Doing my own basic repair

Post by BluMunk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:41 pm

I recently got a DX7-II at a really cheap price. Partly because three of the keys are in a down-position all of the time (the springs or whatever it is that keeps the keys up are broken). I figure that being a bright guy I can fix this myself, no? Am I going to regret opening the case and tinkering with it?

More generally, are there any good resources for basic keyboard repair out there?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Doing my own basic repair

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Biggest mistake I made was thinking the DX7 II case would be as simple to access the keyboard contacts as the original. Download the service manual and look at the exploded view. You don´t open the case, you disassemble it. You just don´t get a frame where you open the lid and start working; it´s a multitude of panels all joint together with hundreds of screws of different sizes, and there are several layers inside which you´ll have to remove to reach a particular section. Believe me, it´s a nightmare.
The keys are not held in place by spring coils, but by springy blades. They´re as easy to reattach, as they´re easy to jump out.
So I won´t say good luck. I say sell it as it is and buy an original or a module.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 pm

BluMunk wrote: More generally, are there any good resources for basic keyboard repair out there?
http://www.synthdoc.com/
Enjoy.
Herrare umanum est.

wickfut

Post by wickfut » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 pm

I'm not sure if it uses the same keyboard but I didn't have much fun trying to replace a couple of broken keys in a Yamaha V50.

I think I had to undo about 100 screws , pull back this rubber strip and then slot the replacement key in some weird way ... if I plugged it in incorrectly it snapped the new key !
My old stuff from yonks ago (1999-2001)...
click me for lofi music player
click me for main page

Somebody somewhere in the UK must have a decent condition, none modded tb303 to flog me ?

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Biggest mistake I made was thinking the DX7 II case would be as simple to access the keyboard contacts as the original. Download the service manual and look at the exploded view. You don´t open the case, you disassemble it. You just don´t get a frame where you open the lid and start working; it´s a multitude of panels all joint together with hundreds of screws of different sizes, and there are several layers inside which you´ll have to remove to reach a particular section. Believe me, it´s a nightmare.
The keys are not held in place by spring coils, but by springy blades. They´re as easy to reattach, as they´re easy to jump out.
So I won´t say good luck. I say sell it as it is and buy an original or a module.

Yes... I'm afraid all of the Yamaha's of the era were a nightmare to work on - the SY77, SY99 and V50 are no different. I recently took my SY77 apart for a second time to change the display - there was nothing left in one piece by the time I'd finished.. It all went back together ok but it's not for the faint hearted!! :?