Minimoog restoration

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
killertofu

Minimoog restoration

Post by killertofu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Hey guys, I just picked up a Minimoog model D for a decent deal, relative to condition. I want to have some restoration work done on it. But I want to make sure I keep myself grounded and dont take it too far. How perfect is "perfect" when youre dealing with a classic synth? I want to keep as much original as possible, but was wondering if you could give me any general guidelines based on experience?

Thanks!
Last edited by killertofu on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Minimoog restoration

Post by minime123 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:31 pm

good tech work and restoration are likely going to cost you a lot so in the end you may not have gotten such a good deal.
synthwood makes new cases though ive never seen one in person. tell them mini sent you if you contact them.
you may be able to find someone selling new keys as well. lightner should be able to recommend tech stuff,,,,
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:35 pm

I was well aware of restoration costs before buying, and im still happy with my deal :mrgreen: I just want to make sure I dont take it too far.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 pm

IMHO

if you feel the need to lock it a way in a case and never play it again, you've gone too far. Things like synths are meant to be used and enjoyed.

change the electrolytics, clean everything, replace missing knobs, tune and scale, leave the yellowed keys. keep it covered when not using it. play long and prosper.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

valis
Gear: electricity

Post by valis » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Well it all kind of depends what you want out of the synth and what is wrong with it in its current condition. As far as "perfect" when dealing with an analog synth its hard to say. Some individuals want to use all original parts (knobs, keys, etc.), some don't mind using replicated (non-original) parts. I think if it looks fairly decent and plays how you want it to than it's good to go. I'm not sure if you're trying to resell it or not which I guess would effect your decision.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the synth but it'd probably be a good idea to have an experienced tech take a look at it. Things like electrolytic capacitors may need to be replaced as they can leak with time causing all sorts of issues. As far as repair price goes it can be costly but probably not more costly than spending near five figures on the synth from vintage resellers ; )

Enjoy your MiniMoog it's a really fun machine. If it were me I'd work on the functional issues and fix the cosmetic issues later. That way you can have an awesome sounding synth now..

Just a few thoughts..