switch from hardware to software, advice needed!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Brad

switch from hardware to software, advice needed!

Post by Brad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 am

Hi all, I am thinking about making the move at last from hardware to software and really have'nt got a clue where to start. My current set up consists of a Yamaha RM1X as the sequencer, a Triton Rack as my 'sound source' and a Yamaha A3000 as my sampler. Coupled together with a controller keyboard, makie 1202 and a pair of KRK's...

Firstly I'd like to ditch the RM1X (Even though i've had it for over 10 years!) and run a software sequencer instead at least, probably on a laptop...

Secondly, but not so importantly, I'd like to ditch the A3000 and run audio from the above said possible laptop.

I want to keep the Triton rack as my midi sound source.

So i'm thinking i'll need a Laptop (Not sure what spec i'd need though), a audio/midi interface (I'd like audio i/o + midi, perhaps something like a Echo Layla 3G...) and some Sequencing software... Any comments welcome on this set up, anything missing. Obviously if I started the laptop for audio to, i'd use some sort of external HD as storage to save the Laptop from getting stuffed up.

I've seen a few people using macbooks, could I run Logic with midi and Audio on that?

This is all very confusing to me, any comments welcome, i'm not the greatest person in the world when it comes to computers!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: switch from hardware to software, advice needed!

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:21 am

If you're ok with Macs, I'd say get last year's Mac laptop with lots of RAM and the biggest hard drive you can afford. Logic, with the onboard sample playback software, and maybe some drum machine software. USB or firewire Audio/midi interface. I can go into more specifics if you like... drop me an email. And you might like some kind of pad interface- wither it s a korg nanopad or one of the akai MPD series...

And box up the RM1x and send it here. :P

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Brad wrote:So i'm thinking i'll need a Laptop (Not sure what spec i'd need though)
The matter of Mac vs. PC is completely moot; the only real criterium is - what does your sequencer run on? With Logic and DP > OS X. With FL Studio and Sonar > Windows.

The Macbooks can be compared 1:1 with their PC counterparts now, and their minimum is a good list of specifications to hold next to a comparable PC laptop. Yes, there's cheaper laptops and netbooks, but these lack the juice you want and need.
a audio/midi interface (I'd like audio i/o + midi, perhaps something like a Echo Layla 3G...)
Almost every audio interface throws in a single MIDI I/O for free, and if you pick a controller keyboard, it hooks up using USB. Define your budget, define your need for inputs/outputs (are you going to hook up more than the Triton - mics, guitars?), and pick USB or Firewire, and read the reviews about the driver and A/D conversion quality.
I've seen a few people using macbooks, could I run Logic with midi and Audio on that?
If they can, so can you.
Ashe37 wrote:I can go into more specifics if you like... drop me an email.
Here's an idea; more people might have the same question. 1 on 1 e-mailing completely defeats the purpose of a forum and others can fill up the gaps in your knowledge :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Brad

Post by Brad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for the replys guys, I have had a think and have decided that I want to run Logic, so Mac it is. I can't really afford a Macbook pro so it looks like it will be a Macbook, probably the older one if I can get one, not the new one.

So heres the new question - Would I get away with a 2.0 ghz, 2gb, 120gb model? Considering I will use an external HD for data storage and don't intend to run an awful lot of audio. What do you think? I'll probably end up with Logic Studio 8, but is Logic Express 8 any good and would it be fine for my midi sequencing/low audio use tasks?

Would something like the Echo 3G or Layla 3G be suitable to run with said Macbook?

I really do appreciate the help guys!

Cheers,

Brad.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Brad wrote:Would I get away with a 2.0 ghz, 2gb, 120gb model?
That will be OK to start, you'll eventually want to max out the RAM to 4GB. The golden rule of computer audio: RAM is cheap and the more you have the better things will run.
I'll probably end up with Logic Studio 8, but is Logic Express 8 any good and would it be fine for my midi sequencing/low audio use tasks?
You get Garageband for free with a MacBook which is like Logic Express Lite :wink: so I would go straight to Logic Studio when you're ready to go beyond Garageband.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Brad wrote:Would something like the Echo 3G or Layla 3G be suitable to run with said Macbook?
Do you already own these things or what's the reason that you pick these?

The Layla 3G needs a PCI card, and so does the Echo. PCI cards do not fit into laptops which means that you either have to pick Firewire or USB.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Brad

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:11 am

I do not own them, we have Echo Layla 3G's on most of SFX rigs at work thats all. Any ideas then?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:44 am

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/FireW ... /index.php

The AudioFire 8 seems top be the firewire-only version of the 3G. It even looks the same.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 pm

bear in mind that only the white macbooks and the MBPs have firewire, the new unibody macbook has USB, no firewire

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:48 pm

If the new MBPs have expresscard slots, you can add firewire for cheap. cheap PC expresscard firewire are usually recognized by them- and usually give you access to your 'missing' USB port as well

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Ok, would I be right in thinking that if I get a white macbook 2.0, and upgrade the RAM to 4GB + add an external hard drive (Probably 1TB) to the standard 120GB, this would be fine for running say Pro Tools LE with Mbox 2?

Cheers for your replys!

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

yes, that would work ok... considering how many bands I've seen with em on stage...

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:07 pm

cool, so a basic 2.0Ghz, 4gb ram, 120gb HD + external 1TB HD is ok. I'm sure someone will say something different....

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Oh dude... thats fully good for music. I have a lesser spec pc laptop I've been using for years - It takes ALOT to choke it up.
It should be a long while before you need more HD space too.

Brad

Post by Brad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 pm

hey aredj, thanks for that, what software do you run?