Macbook specs for Protools LE and Mbox 2.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Brad

Macbook specs for Protools LE and Mbox 2.

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Finally my hardware saga is nearly over, but the final question is...

Would a Macbook white, 2.0 Ghz, 4GB ram, 120gb HD + External 1TB HD be fine for running Protools LE with an Mbox 2?

Your thoughts and opinions please!?

Thanks, your advise is very much appreciated!

Brad.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Re: Macbook specs for Protools LE and Mbox 2.

Post by premieklovn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:37 pm

I would not recommend the Macbook + Mbox 2 combo. I actually just sold my Mbox because it f**k up a lot on my Macbook. There's something strange about how the macbook and mbox interacts with eachother. Try to "google mbox macbook problems" or something and you will get a lot of hits.
I am now borrowing a M-audio Audiophile USB sound card and though it's a cheap piece of s**t it works flawlessy. I'll probably buy a more expensive firewire M-audio or MOTU sound card in the future.

Esus

Post by Esus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm

premieklovn wrote:I would not recommend the Macbook + Mbox 2 combo. I actually just sold my Mbox because it f**k up a lot on my Macbook. There's something strange about how the macbook and mbox interacts with eachother. Try to "google mbox macbook problems" or something and you will get a lot of hits.
I am now borrowing a M-audio Audiophile USB sound card and though it's a cheap piece of s**t it works flawlessy. I'll probably buy a more expensive firewire M-audio or MOTU sound card in the future.
My understanding is that Pro Tools LE will only run on Digidesign-approved hardware, either Mbox or Digi rack.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought a Pro Tools laptop/MOTU Traveler interface would be a killer combo, but was told it wouldn't work. :(

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Esus wrote: My understanding is that Pro Tools LE will only run on Digidesign-approved hardware, either Mbox or Digi rack.
I thought a Pro Tools laptop/MOTU Traveler interface would be a killer combo, but was told it wouldn't work. :(

I think thats true. I stopped using Pro Tools.

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Ah right, how about Logic and the same spec macbook? What software are you guys using for audio/midi sequencing on your macbooks?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 am

Any mac available now is more powerful than the top of the line Powermacs that were being used in studios five years ago, so don't worry about that. I use a two and a half year old white Macbook with Pro Tools and my 002 and have no problems running into the 48 stereo track limit with a lot of plugins, the only thing that really taxes the processor is multiple convolution reverbs.

The issue with the USB powered MBoxes on Macbooks may have something to do with some early Macbooks not supplying full 500mA of current to one of the USB ports, I know a friend of mine had an issue with that on his rev 1 MBP. I personally think that you shouldn't use any of the Digidesign USB interfaces, they have really bad latency performance so you have to use the hardware monitoring so you can't hear if there are any issues, ie i you record arm the wrong track you can still hear whatever you think you're recording, you don't find out you missed the take til you go to play it back.
premieklovn wrote:
Esus wrote:My understanding is that Pro Tools LE will only run on Digidesign-approved hardware, either Mbox or Digi rack.
I think thats true. I stopped using Pro Tools.
PTLE will only run on digi hardware, but you can run Pro Tools M-Powered which is the same thing basically, with a different startup screen, on a lot of M-Audio hardware.
Brad wrote:Ah right, how about Logic and the same spec macbook? What software are you guys using for audio/midi sequencing on your macbooks?
Logic will run fine as well, I run Pro Tools 7, Logic 8 and Live 6 on mine. The computer you're using isn't going to be a limitation at all, you need to decide which program you want to use rather than try to narrow things down with functional issues. Each DAW has a different workflow and different strengths and weaknesses, you need to figure out which one personally suits you the best.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 am

logic can at most use 4 GB of ram, so you are in the clear for that department

i run a black macbook with 2.16ghz and 2 Gigs of ram, with motu hardware, and i never get any slowdown or latency issues
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Brad

Post by Brad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:33 am

Can anyone suggest a good firewire or usb audio/midi interface to run with Logic?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:09 pm

the apogee duet is a great starter one on the cheaper end

above that i'd check out the RME fireface 400 or 800
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Brad wrote:Can anyone suggest a good firewire or usb audio/midi interface to run with Logic?
Budget?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Joey wrote:the apogee duet is a great starter one on the cheaper end
I think you meant great starter for higher end converters on the cheaper side of things.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad