Korg Polysix Battery Leakage

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mooghappy

Korg Polysix Battery Leakage

Post by mooghappy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:30 am

Hi everyone

looks like the Korg polysix is a popular topic, I'm new to this forum and haven't found any old threads on battery replacement, so please point me in the right direction if someone has already addressed this topic.

I got a Korg Polysix recently that came with battery leakage #-o and I have been in limbo on what to do with it. I found oldcrow's website (emailed him, never received a reply, is he still servicing?) and can't decide if I should try this repair out myself. I don't have much experience, though I have a couple friends who know how to solder at least. If I followed oldcrow's website, is this something I could do on my own? Looks like a couple of the steps require some experience, will I do irreparable damage if I tried this? [-o<
Currently, I'm not getting any sounds out of the P6, is this common from battery leakage or could something else be damaged?

synth repair experts please advise!

I should have a good camera soon to take a pic of the leakage, I will try to upload it and maybe someone could tell me how bad it is.

Thanks!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Korg Polysix Battery Leakage

Post by rhino » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:40 pm

ANY leakage is bad. the problem is two-fold: first, the battery "juce" eats the copper foil traces. second, the residue from the leak is conductive and shorts any circut it touches.
the repair is simple....on paper!

1. remove the old battery
2. remove any chips in the area of leakage
3. CLEAN the entire board (i was told to use baking soda, but never tried it yet)
4. inspect with a magnifying glass and good light. identify every corroded trace, watch the narrow ones that go UNDER some of the chips.
5. repair or jumper EVERY suspect area.
6.replace any removed chips with NEW ONES
7. replace the battery OR follow the steps in Crows site to disable the charging circut and use a Lithium battery (and holder) instead.
8. test and repeat 2-6 as needed
9. adjust and tune....enjoy

personal note: NOT to be meant as a flame or insult !!!!

some people who can change the oil in their Chevy think this means they can fix anything. Vintage synths are somewhat fragile and unforgiving of botched repair attempts. Some chips are easily damaged by static, heat, bending the leads too much and are hard to find for replacement. Some circuts are based on "fringe" effects of componets and are inherantly unstable. short: YES, you CAN do real damage to your Polysix. Even veteran techs can tell horror stories on THEMSELVES.... one slip of a test probe, a little too long with the iron, "DAMN! i thought it was unpluged!"

Crow did a very good job of laying it all out...great pictures too. you'll never learn reading a post about it. if you are confident in your skills and your friends, and take it slow and carefuly, i say go for it. we're here if you need more help....JUST DON'T ASK WHICH IS BETTER: ANALOG OR DIGITAL !!!!! (lol)(roflao)
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

mooghappy

Post by mooghappy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks rhino for the reply!

I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see how far I get. :)

It'd be funny if there was some way to broadcast this live and get people to comment on my progress. :lol:

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

i have another p6 for repair. i can remember that arpegiator was working. but now when i've fixed klm367 arpegiator is not working :(

tempo speed led is blinking. but when i activate arpegiator it's not arpegiating notes. it "holds" first note just like hold button. what can be wrong?

ps. it's old construction board [klm367, klm366 with 396a]

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue May 19, 2009 3:43 pm

mooghappy wrote: Currently, I'm not getting any sounds out of the P6, is this common from battery leakage or could something else be damaged?
i think you should get sounds although the battery is leaking, when you press the "manual" button... does that work?

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 am

"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

I have fixed quite a few of them with such leakage damage, they are diabolical sometimes, particularly as the battery is in the perfect place to do maximimum damage in the Polysix..

The leakage from the battery is not acidic, it is alkaline (remember, these aren't lead acid car batteries), so the correct chemical to neutralize it is a mild acid. You could get away with vinegar or lemon juice if need be. Baking soda is an alkali, so don't use that.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.