Yamaha RM1x or similar to control soft synths?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha RM1x or similar to control soft synths?

Postby Moody » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi,

Been messing around with FL studio and vst soft synths for a while but have an urge to buy some real gear like a groovebox or something . I am on a tight budget - looking for 2nd hand, around 150 quid or less. Looking for something that'll make noises (dance orientated sounds) has buttons to press and knobs to fiddle but can also be used as a midi controller so when I get bored with it I can use it in FL to move the "knobs" on a vst synth.

Can get hold of a Yamaha RM1x Digital Synth for £100 and am tempted - if it could also allow me to interact with vsts, it'd seal the deal but I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much :D

The Novation K station does what I want (makes its own noise plus tweak vsts via midi)but is out of my price range.

Any other suggestions if not the Yamaha?

Cheers.
Moody

Re: Yamaha RM1x or similar to control soft synths?

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 pm

M-Audio Axiom, pick your size, you should be able to bring one in for that. It gives you keys, knobs, and pads...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Moody » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Yeah, I nearly bought an Axiom today. Thing is I've got a real hankering for something with onboard sounds like the Electribe stuff rather than a keyboard type midi controller. Something I can use away from the computer but (because I'm on a tight budget) can also be used as a midi controller when I want to.
Moody

Postby Hugo76 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:34 am

Moody; I think you might be dissapointed in the RM1x's sounds; they're not that great. It is indeed possible to crank out some cool stuff, but I would look elsewhere. Can you afford the RS7000? It is basically the same as the RM1x, but with a better sound quality + sampling (and some neat functions in the sequencer). I have the RS7000 and love it.

I'm not sure if the Electribes are able to control external gear well, but if they are, the EMX-1 would be something to seriously consider.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby hollandturbine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 am

The RM1X is a good sequencer, the sounds have some limitations (some of the drum sounds are OK and the effects section is handy), it will work as a controller but that too has limitations, such as the step sequencing only allowing you to hear the sound you are programing (you can use the step buttons with a DAW but you have to work in a particular way (not better than an on screen step sequencer IMO) because it will only transmit the MIDI you are working on in grid mode, to use the RM1X with a computer setup is not a bad idea but you will probably benefit more from a controller keyboard, I see many a RM1X going cheap and many have non functioning switches, so that's something to look out for if you decide to get it.
hollandturbine

Postby supermel74 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:57 am

E-mu Command Station. Great sequencer, powerful synth with expanable sounds, 16 assignable knobs, 13 velocity sensitive pads with aftertouch, 16 triggers for xox style programming, USB port, 2 midi outs, 6 analog outputs, a digital output, and a touchstrip! These can be had for not much more than an RM1x and offer a lot more imo.
supermel74

Return to HELP!