Yamaha V50 HELP PLEASE... ANYONE?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Heliospan

Yamaha V50 HELP PLEASE... ANYONE?

Post by Heliospan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi I'm New here and i have a problem that i hope someone out there in computer land can help me with. I have a Yamaha V50. The Problem is all of the keys that play a C note have no sound. All the other Keys play just fine. All the Buttons, Voices, Input jacks, Everything, Even The disc drive (I'm one of the lucky few) Work Perfect. But All those damn Keys That play a C note Won't Make A sound. I Did The Master Reset (Seq,Card,Demo) Thing, Nothing. I Took The Back Off and Everything was clean, in it's place and looked ok. The Owners Manual Is useless. Theres Nothing on the internet about this problem. I want my Full Range back. I would like to fix this problem at home and not have to take it to be repaired. Has Anyone out there got any ideas at all about what could be wrong? I'm going insane. Help please. ](*,)
Heliospan

myspace.com/Heliospan7
myspace.com/snakebonesisscary

futureworlder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: modular | monome | x0xb0x | ableton

Re: Yamaha V50 HELP PLEASE... ANYONE?

Post by futureworlder » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:19 pm

First off, welcome to VSE!

Second, there is a section called HELP which is devoted to issues such as yours, which I'm sure a mod will be along soon to remind/inform you of. most likely, the thread will be moved over there when that happens.

In troubleshooting any synth, the first thing you want to do is narrow down the culprit or offending section of the unit. this rules out other "healthy" sections, and makes fixing the thing possible, i.e. no sound on an analog might be a bad VCA, so running another synth through a filter input would rule out either the filter or amplifier. Digital synths, however, are a whole different world as they 'mostly' rely on DSP and groups of IC's containing entire voices, as opposed to discrete circuits handling functions independently. In a repair philosophy this is called "Component Isolation".

Keeping this is in mind, I would recommend isolating your issue of the C notes not sounding to determine whether it's a bad voice, or simply a bad key contact on the keybed, etc. So try plugging in a KGB (Known Good Board) controller via MIDI in (another synth or controller) and see if you can get the C notes to play from the controller; if you're successful with this, then the problem (hopefully) has nothing to do with the sound engine section of the synth and lies somewhere between the electro-mechanical section of the keyboard and the means of sending note information to the sound engine, possibly a bad relay for that group of contacts or short in the wiring itself.

Another thing you can try is to transpose or detune the keyboard a semitone, so that C registers as a C sharp, essentially shifting the note assignment over or up one key, and see if you still have the same problem.

Lucky for you, this board is FILLED with DIY'ers and synthtechs who not only repair but also restore vintage analog and digital synths (Maschinegeist, HFinn and Rhino, to name a few) so you're in good hands. Gentlemen, you have the floor .;)

hope this helps, and good luck...
"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers"- Pablo Picasso
http://www.myspace.com/briantraister

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 am

Also, make sure that the V50 isn't set to one of its crazy tunings. I would guess that a reset would likewise reset this, but maybe worth checking.

habarnastod

Post by habarnastod » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:29 am

I have the same problem, no tones from the V50 keys. I also noticed that the battery needs to be replaced as indicated on the diaplay. When the battery goes dead , the tones will be gone. Replace the battery, I'm sure the tones will function. Do a google search "Yamaha V50 battery replacement"
Hank

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:24 pm

If it's a specific set of keys that won't function and everything else is fine, I strongly suspect it's an issue with the keybed. I don't know how the V50's decoder matrix is laid out, but if there's a single select line for all the Cs, and that connection gets broken, then this is what you'll see. Check the keyboard connectors and make sure they're properly seated at both ends; otherwise, you might need to break out the multimeter and start checking individual wires.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

coldwar

Post by coldwar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:53 pm

I will second what commodorejohn said. At the keybed check the connections and the pins they connect to. It may be a cracked solder joint from a previous owner's overzealous playing. You can use a multimeter set to continuity and check to make sure the pins go to actual diodes on the board. If you find that one pin connects to nothing that is probably your culprit. You can either solder a wire from that bad pin to the proper diode on the board and they should come back to life. You may also just have a bad diode messing up the matrix, so be sure to set your meter to diode and test each diode BOTH ways. If it passes signal backwards, then it is a bad diode that needs to be replaced. Worst case scenario is that it is the decoder chip, which is replaceable but a bit of a hoss to do so. Good luck! Those are very nice machines :)