Novation Supernova II

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: Novation Supernova II

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 pm

prime2026 wrote:Upon further inspection there's a pretty big chip with the same flux residue around it and under one of the motorola dsps there's a small black component labeled r18 that's hanging on by a thread on one side and completely off on the other. Important? Probably. Do I know for sure? Negative. Here's the pics....

http://img13.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=1000395txm.jpg

R18 is a surface mount resistor - it might be worth resoldering it - it just might be your problem.

prime2026

Post by prime2026 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:02 pm

For whatever it's worth, it appears that the 14th voice is the culprit. I can play up to 13 notes at once without a problem on an init program but the 14th note triggers the LFO, however it goes away immediately when i let off that key. I called 6 local repair places, and based on description and reproducing the anomaly over the phone they all said it would take at least 5 hours of tech time. Most of them at $80 an hour plus parts. This made me very sad in the pants.

Oh and I was brushing some dust off the main board with the most gentle and miniscule brush I could find. I heard something metal hit the tabletop and it appears Mr. Resistor wasn't hanging on by a thread after all but instead by gravity.

prime2026

Post by prime2026 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:01 am

I finally received a reply back from Novation tech support a couple of days ago and they said it was most likely a faulty dsp... Dsp 5 (voices 13-16) to be exact. After getting the part number from them and exhaustively searching the southeastern U.S., I could not find any tech that would only replace the dsp, no diagnosis or any other troubleshooting, for less than $200 plus the part cost.

So i sold it for $450.

Pretty decent turnaround and I guess I'll get the rackmount version since the 13 voices I had were so sexy. Thanks for all your time and helpful advice to everyone involved. :)

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sat May 16, 2009 1:28 pm

So you sold it for $450 - but still broken?

On Ebay per chance?

prime2026

Post by prime2026 » Sat May 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Yes still with the voice issue and No, locally over Craigslist. I described the issue and then billed it as pretty much a Nova with keys and more controls (which in it's current form is pretty spot on minus 3 voices) and it sold within an hour. I now wonder if maybe I could have gotten more for it :shock: