Noisy Roland SH-09

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
magnus

Noisy Roland SH-09

Post by magnus » Sat May 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi,
I recently bought an SH-09 that was in pretty poor cosmetic condition, but generally sounded fine. Today it has started to produce constant background noise - like the sounds you hear on most old analogues, but much louder. The noise doesn't quieten down when I turn the volume pot, and turning the SH-09 doesn't reduce it, although turning it off at the mains does. For some reason, the problem is only apparent when I'm using audio cables - if I'm listening directly through headphones, the noise is still there, but much, much fainter.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how I might remedy it?

Thanks

Tchammosaur

Re: Noisy Roland SH-09

Post by Tchammosaur » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Are you getting a hum, or a crackling noise? If it's a hum, it's interference from the wall plug, or if it's a higher pitch it can come from the computer. Try changing rooms or touching the case with a paper clip to see if it changes anything. I have a SH-09 that had an internal problem at some point: the keys either made no sound or a short noise. That went away by itself after a while. Opening it and cleaning it can't hurt.

magnus

Re: Noisy Roland SH-09

Post by magnus » Tue May 05, 2009 1:17 am

Okay I'm with you. I did a bit of resaerch, and I believe it's a ground loop. It could definitely do with a clean out too - SH-09s seem to have a special affinity for dirt. Thanks for your help