Replacing the Battery on a JX8P

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mwasserman

Replacing the Battery on a JX8P

Post by mwasserman » Sun May 03, 2009 1:57 am

Hello everyone,

I ordered a Panasonic BR2325 battery to replace the one that's been in use in my Roland JX8P. I opened the synth up, but when I tried to get the battery out, it appears to be fused to the little metal clasp that holds it in place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this battery out (and the new one in) without ruining my beloved JX?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5c&3r
Gear: //JX-3P, Xio25, Nanoloop
//DD-6, Big Muff XO, Fab Echo, PDS-1700
//Renoise
Band: Tardigrade

Re: Replacing the Battery on a JX8P

Post by 5c&3r » Sun May 03, 2009 3:15 am

Isn't that just the ground connection or something?

mwasserman

Post by mwasserman » Sun May 03, 2009 5:48 am

Maybe... but it is stuck to the top of that battery.

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Sun May 03, 2009 9:43 am

http://www.pallium.com/bryan/dwbattery.php
Slightly diffent, but you can figure it out from these instructions.

I replaced a similiar (jx-8p) battery in CZ-1, wasn't much fun.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sun May 03, 2009 12:07 pm

You're going to have to pull the board and remove the cell with a soldering iron. The replacement gets soldered back into place. The metal portions are indeed welded to the cell case.

If you're good with a soldering iron, it's a piece of cake. Getting the board out is probably the hardest part.

If you're not comfortable doing the soldering yourself, just pull the board and take the parts to your local friendly tv repair shop. Just be careful with static if you live in a dry area.

If the cell you received doesn't have the mount welded to the housing and it's just a coin cell like you can get anywhere, you have the wrong one. There are drawings here in the BR2325 series to select the right critter. It looks like it's a BR2325/HBN (old part number is a BR2325/1HB).

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/bat ... 1.htm#tab1

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm

just a reminder: back up your patches FIRST...before pulling the old battery.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

mwasserman

Post by mwasserman » Sun May 03, 2009 5:46 pm

Scottrod,

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that it would be this complicated. My friend from the local vintage music store assured me it was just a button battery (so I purchased two BR2325 batteries... what a waste.)

Looks like I'll need to take it in to get the replacement, as I'm no good with a soldering iron (and don't even own one).

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 am

mwasserman wrote:I had no idea that it would be this complicated. My friend from the local vintage music store assured me it was just a button battery (so I purchased two BR2325 batteries... what a waste.)
Some synths have battery holders that you can just pop a new battery into, some have the soldered tabs (probably for robustness during gigging being a 'reason' certain synth makers chose them over a simple holder). Either way, it's really not that complicated and you CAN (and many do) solder in some wires and a battery holder and mount in an easy place for future use. Then in future you just need to swap the battery, no soldering required. If you did this, check the wires are not going to impede the battery's performance due to resistance or whatever.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 pm

mwasserman wrote:Scottrod,

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that it would be this complicated. My friend from the local vintage music store assured me it was just a button battery (so I purchased two BR2325 batteries... what a waste.)

Looks like I'll need to take it in to get the replacement, as I'm no good with a soldering iron (and don't even own one).
Hi - no worries - this is an easy job in the right hands. As someone has suggested either take the whole keyboard better the removed circuit board to any electronics repair shop (it does not have to be a music repair shop). Once the board is out it is litterally a 5 minute job to replace with a soldering iron - in fact if the guy is quick enough you might not even loose your patch data. If you take the whole thing to a repair shop make sure you don't get charged for any more than 30 minutes of labour as it really will -not- take any longer.

You will have to load in your patches afterwards - if these were factory presets then they are easy to find on the net.

By the way I strongly advise against anyone fitting battery holder mods to studio gear and it seems to be all the rage thesedays. It just isn't worth the risk in my opinion. If you think about just how many years it's taken for your old battery to go flat I simply wouldn't bother mod'ding it as there's bound to be far more serious issues arrising in the next 7 years+ it takes to go flat again!