Dealing With Prophet 5 Midi and OS X

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Dealing With Prophet 5 Midi and OS X

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 pm

has anyone yet figured a workaround to the problem of the P5 not sending an end message when it dumps sysex? (Dave help! :) )

librarian programs do not work properly with the P5 in OS X. In the old days, system 8 for example, you could dump a P5 into a Mac. Since OS9, i believe, it no longer works.

This is a drag since i can't dump P5 memory into librarians, or into the Pro-53.

Is there some kind of macro, or such, that can add the end of message to the dump? Or any other solution, non-PC?

Free patches to all if I find the solution!

Kind regards.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Re: Dealing With Prophet 5 Midi and OS X

Post by Shreddie » Tue May 19, 2009 10:59 am

The normal start message for a patch is '0xF0'. The normal end message is '0xF7' IIRC.

I don't have a Mac (or a Prophet) but with MIDI-OX, you have a sysex editor in which these messages (0xF0 and 0xF7) are highlighted in red. Normally, when patches are transferred, they are transferred one after the other (at least they are with my Andromeda) so with something like MIDI-OX you could easily hunt for the 0xF0 messages and manually insert a 0xF7 immediately before it.

Of course if the patches are transferred individually, just add a 0xF7 at the end.

I may be wrong but it may be worth a try if you have a sysex editor of some sort.

Try googling for more info.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm

thanks shreddie, i'll look into it.

the boys at native instruments we're so optimistic.

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am

four and a half years later and still haven't figured it out. wish i could find an osx software which would at least show the unfinished midi sysex message. there was an old pc app which could convert the cassette audio into sysex, but no mac version. maybe a script could be written that adds the f7?