old midi controller to USB?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
AdamGBB

old midi controller to USB?

Post by AdamGBB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:42 am

I have a midi controller that is probably older than the invention of usb. Also, it only has a midi out. If I had a midi/usb cable and hooked it up to a computer or something, would the keyboard still be able to control the sound module successfully as if it had midi in?

Also, it seems that all midi/usb cables have 2 separate midi jacks presumably for midi in and midi out (and/or midi thru). As I said, my keyboard at the moment only has a midi out. Would it still function if I plugged only one of the 2 midi jacks into the midi out on my keyboard? If not, what can I do to ensure that it does work?

Sorry if these questions sound retarded, we weren't all born with vast expanses of knowledge of synthesizers and midi :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: old midi controller to USB?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 am

Yes, you can.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 pm

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XMIDI1x1/

Yes, it will work with just your midi out. MIDI jacks are not set up like complete circuits - they are unto themselves and do not require both "sides" to be connected to work.

Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

extinent
Gear: dxm06 efx mixer (half center piece,dm1001 mixer and inputs
kp1 routed into mixer 1 Vci 100laptop AbletonpM-audiomonitors
flat top Ev mic
Band: n/a

Post by extinent » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 am

I ran into this problem with multiple devices and the easy out is dj io box or m audio fast track. expensive but you can rig anything audio after a you run a mixer into a laptop and audio box. I've ran in and out of an open vcr just to get warped sounds off the vhs tapes to have on file.
somnium silentium