MIDI Patch Bays and SYSEX Messages in OS X?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
winningatlife
Gear: Yamaha CS20M
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Pro-One
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris
Band: Agape

MIDI Patch Bays and SYSEX Messages in OS X?

Post by winningatlife » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey -

So I've been working on a MIDI Setup - I'm trying to find a MIDI Patch Bay that I can configure with OS X 10.5.7? I have a Midisport 8x8/s but it doesn't seem to work... at all.

Additionally, I've been trying to send sysex code (message) to a device (through a different interface), but the only program I've found is Sysex Librarian which only offers Recording and Dumping of whole Sysex codes - not the capability to send Sysex messages.

Are there MIDI controllers that can be programmed to send Sysex? I'd like to eliminate computers from the set up process.

Any MIDI Patch bays that are configurable without a computer?

Anybody have any ideas here?

-Ryan
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Re: MIDI Patch Bays and SYSEX Messages in OS X?

Post by aredj » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:57 pm

The only midi controller I know of (which does not include everything by any means), that does not need a computer editor to input sysex strings, is the novation SL.
The BCR2000 has the ability to 'learn' sysex strings but I've not had great success with that. It works sometimes. You can program with a pc/mac editor.

A motu midi timepiece is a great stand alone midi router. And since you want to use it stand alone, you can pick up an old parallel port version for super cheap.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:58 pm

I use a MOTU Midi Express 128, on OSX 10.4.9, and it's fine.

As for Sysex, I've had trouble finding something that will send short Sysex messages, or allow me to enter and send Sysex. Cubase is impenetrable and utter c**p, Sysex Librarian will not allow you to enter code to send, and doesn't like very short messages. I gave up in the end.

winningatlife
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris

Post by winningatlife » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:29 pm

aredj wrote:The only midi controller I know of (which does not include everything by any means), that does not need a computer editor to input sysex strings, is the novation SL.
The BCR2000 has the ability to 'learn' sysex strings but I've not had great success with that. It works sometimes. You can program with a pc/mac editor.
Novation SL eh? Yeah, I've looked into those. The problem is I need to actually program short strings of SYSEX without the ability to output them from anything (if that makes sense). I am adding some comprehensive MIDI Control to a Juno 60 via a CHD Elektroservis MDCB, and a lot of the parameters are sysex-configurable only.

Is this something you've been able to accomplish?

On the BCR2000, was the difficulty programming the knobs or in the dependability once programmed? I'm concerned because a lot of the parameters I'd program would be "1" equals on and "2-127" equal off - making a knob less than ideal. Or even worse, "1" = parameter A, "2" = parameter B, and "3-127" equals off.

Luckily my device comes with a SysEx message generator, but, I have nothing to program with these messages.
Some keys I have: Yamaha CS20M, ARP Axxe, Chroma Polaris, Roland Juno 60, Vermona DRMMKII, Roland R8, Sequential Circuits Pro-One, x0xbox, Terratec MB 33 II Superbass, Kurzweil SP88.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:43 pm

The novation stuff will work perfectly for what you are looking to do, the buttons can have all sorts of different states so you can increment, toggle, one shot etc.

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 am

winningatlife wrote: On the BCR2000, was the difficulty programming the knobs or in the dependability once programmed?
Concerning sysex, the buttons and knobs are programmed with a computer editor only (3rd party - Behringer editor blows). Without a computer, the BCR boasts a 'learn' mode, which does understand sysex, but I've had mixed results. Mostly shitty ones.

But once programmed, it works great.
winningatlife wrote:The problem is I need to actually program short strings of SYSEX without the ability to output them from anything (if that makes sense).
Not to me 8)

winningatlife
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris

Post by winningatlife » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:02 pm

aredj wrote:
winningatlife wrote: On the BCR2000, was the difficulty programming the knobs or in the dependability once programmed?
Concerning sysex, the buttons and knobs are programmed with a computer editor only (3rd party - Behringer editor blows). Without a computer, the BCR boasts a 'learn' mode, which does understand sysex, but I've had mixed results. Mostly shitty ones.

But once programmed, it works great.
That sounds pretty good. I've looked into the BCR Programming, specifically the BCManager (http://mntn-utils.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_5). This seems like a pretty sweet deal.

I also like encore electronics box, but only 8 real knobs (although a dozen or so patch sets) is a bit limiting.

http://www.encoreelectronics.com/cont_knob1.html
aredj wrote:
winningatlife wrote:The problem is I need to actually program short strings of SYSEX without the ability to output them from anything (if that makes sense).
Not to me 8)
I guess technically I could use something like Midi-OX to output the sysex messages to allow for a 'learn' function, I didn't think about it that way.

This may be turning into a versus thread.... BCR2000 vs. Novation Remote SL vs. Encore Electronics Knobby vs. CME Bitstream 3x. In fact... I think I'll make one!

winningatlife
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris

Post by winningatlife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm

nathanscribe wrote: As for Sysex, I've had trouble finding something that will send short Sysex messages, or allow me to enter and send Sysex. Cubase is impenetrable and utter c**p, Sysex Librarian will not allow you to enter code to send, and doesn't like very short messages. I gave up in the end.
I gave up as well in this aspect. Ended up installing Windows XP in VMWare Fusion, then installing MIDI-OX and Sonar 8.

Doesn't look like anything really is out there for OS X.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:24 pm

your midisport 8x8 can work without computer. search for midisport remote in your spotlight. it's a GREAT patchbay.

winningatlife
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris

Post by winningatlife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:40 pm

pflosi wrote:your midisport 8x8 can work without computer. search for midisport remote in your spotlight. it's a GREAT patchbay.
Only problem is it isn't being recognized at all by the computer (or any computer for that matter). I'm getting some new firmware chips sent to me by M-Audio hopefully this fixes the problem. :|

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:51 pm

that's rather strange. i guess u know that u have to be in usb mode...

winningatlife
Arp Axxe
Juno 60
Vermona DRMMK2
Roland R8
Kurzweil SP88
Chroma Polaris

Post by winningatlife » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:40 pm

pflosi wrote:that's rather strange. i guess u know that u have to be in usb mode...
Yeah definitely. It seems to have a deeper issue... all of the lights are flashing as soon as a USB cable is plugged into the back of the device (whether or not the other end is plugged into a computer or not). I tried the 'hard reset' a few times,M-Audio tech support is going to send me some chips I guess.

I'll give it a shot and then buy a MOTU if it doesn't work.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 pm

have you tested another usb cable?

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:53 am

Just to sell the Motu a little here (I've not used an maudio patcher)...

The routing is super handy... 'in midi 2 - out midi 4 6 8 9..' or whatever...
Mutes for any type of data ... re-routing channels - 'in midi 5 channel 11 --> out midi 8 channel 4'

All this can be set from the front panel stand alone... its totally solid.