Synths midi reaction time constant?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Synths midi reaction time constant?

Post by pflosi » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 pm

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Overgear wrote: If your DAW only has one midi delay setting and you have multiple midi ports with gear, you're gonna have to use a curve. Whichever device is quickest, that's what gets set in the midi delay compensation. I don't know if there is a DAW that has per-port compensation. Someone tell me if there is, please. For the gear that is still in need of compensation, you take the amount of delay from that specific device(not port), subtract the amount you entered in the delay compensation, and then move the midi data ahead that amount. Or...you can leave the short-sighted(in my opinion :wink: ) "delay compensation/timing offset" setting at zero, learn each devices delay(minus jitter), and compensate at the track level.
In Logic there's a global midi delay option, and also a track based delay parameter so you can shift midi data by different amounts, to bring it back into line.
But here's where the problem is with Logic..... its midi output delay is not constant so this is impossible to do.
Here's a midi track, recorded to audio on separate tracks. Each track starts at a different position, and even track 2 starts being triggered BEFORE the actual start of the midi data!!!
picture_7_421.jpg
I doubt Apple want to fix this, as they've said as much that midi is "the past".

Which was why I originally asked if a synths reaction time to midi was a constant delay. At the moment I have delay caused by the hardware's reaction time but also by Logic's midi output which is a mess...

I've a feeling that an Atari setup with Unitor 2 + Log 3+ Notator is going to give the best midi timing. There should be no jitter in the Atari's midi output, so that if a synth does have a delayed reaction to midi, it can be compensated for within Notator, and this should stay constant.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:12 am

john909kid wrote:Which was why I originally asked if a synths reaction time to midi was a constant delay. At the moment I have delay caused by the hardware's reaction time but also by Logic's midi output which is a mess...
If the jitter in Logic is worse than the hardware delay...that's gonna make it difficult. That's your slowest link, as shaft9000 referred to it, or weakest. I can compensate for the individual delays in my setup and keep the average jitter down to within 2ms, with the occasional hiccups. BoxPhenom's 1ms would be preferable. Now, most of my gear is in the 4-7ms range but you've got the quickies like the Nord at 1ms and the slow like the Kenton at 15ms. Because of the usual jitter I see(per device), the Nord usually doesn't get shifted. Average jitter is about .5ms. The Kenton could be as much as 3ms, so I would shift it 12ms, not 15. If your jitter numbers look like my hardware delay numbers, that's pretty bad. I couldn't really tell the average off(jitter) between the five tracks but that second track looks to set the jitter curve for that device, if that's as far ahead as it will play. It just sucks because the late notes will now occur even later. Did you archive or completely deactivate all previous recordings when you recorded the next? Leaving audio tracks active(even muted) while recording can affect midi in Sonar. On a side note, I noticed in a previous post you listed your jitter numbers in ticks. If you are measuring in ticks/ppqn, I would suggest milliseconds. Tick/ppqn length is bpm-dependent.
Ignore that last bit if I'm preaching to the choir. :wink:

I don't know if any of that can help.... :|