AAARRGGHHHH! Roland D70 New Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Malifatcat
Gear: Yamaha DX27
Roland D70
Ibanez BTB 757
Carlsbro Cobra
Band: E.L.O. L.O L.O

AAARRGGHHHH! Roland D70 New Problem

Post by Malifatcat » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Have recently converted a D70 from US to UK and all is well?

I noticed that after about 10 - 15 minutes of playing I lose the screen readout. The contrast can still be adjusted but there is nothing actually written on the screen. Fearing I had done something in the conversion, I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he stated that it had been an on going problem for him too!

If I turn the D70 off and back on again, I get another 10 - 15 minutes screen time before it dies.

During the conversion I saw a large watch type battery and wondered if I was losing my screen due to this being a bit flat?

Any ideas please?

Regards

Malifatcat :?

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Re: AAARRGGHHHH! Roland D70 New Problem

Post by modulator_esp » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:51 pm

How nice of him not to mention it until now :roll:

I'd get something like that looked at by a tech

I doubt it would be the battery, that's for the patch memory

It's most likely a bad connection or dying component somewhere
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

Malifatcat
Roland D70
Ibanez BTB 757
Carlsbro Cobra

Post by Malifatcat » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about that too!

I was going to gig with it this weekend but, I guess I'll have to thoroughly road test it first, just incase there are other problems!!

Oh Well!

Thanks once again for all the advice.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Malifatcat wrote:Have recently converted a D70 from US to UK and all is well?

I noticed that after about 10 - 15 minutes of playing I lose the screen readout. The contrast can still be adjusted but there is nothing actually written on the screen. Fearing I had done something in the conversion, I contacted the guy who sold it to me and he stated that it had been an on going problem for him too!

If I turn the D70 off and back on again, I get another 10 - 15 minutes screen time before it dies.

During the conversion I saw a large watch type battery and wondered if I was losing my screen due to this being a bit flat?

Any ideas please?

Regards

Malifatcat :?

Can you describe exactly what happens when the screen fails - does the contrast drift with time, do lines slowly dissappear, are there any garbled characters or does the screen suddenly go blank? Does the whole of the rest of the synth operate ok apart from this?

Also - is the EL backlight running ok? Is it dim or bright?

Some theories that spring to mind... one is someone has attempted to change the EL backlight and the glass to display module pcb contacts have been disturbed, two is that there is a dry joint on the header to your LCD module, three is that the module itself has an intermittent connection brought on by heat.

If the rest of your synth is ok I very much doubt this is a serious fault. I replaced the display module on my D-550 a few years back with a compatible one.

Malifatcat
Roland D70
Ibanez BTB 757
Carlsbro Cobra

Post by Malifatcat » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:03 pm

I have just tried it again and it's a total loss! No lines, no fade. One minute all the writing is there and the next, it just disappears completely!

The backlight is working fine and, once the writing has gone, you can still adjust the brightness using the dial on the back. I even felt the screen when the writing went off and there is no heat emanating from it at all.

The rest of the synth works absolutely fine.

"It's worse than that; He's dead Jim." - Have been back on the phone to Roland and the D70 LCD screen is now obsolete!!

Step one - Scream AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Step two - Repeat step one until slapped!

Regards

M.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am

Malifatcat wrote:I have just tried it again and it's a total loss! No lines, no fade. One minute all the writing is there and the next, it just disappears completely!

The backlight is working fine and, once the writing has gone, you can still adjust the brightness using the dial on the back. I even felt the screen when the writing went off and there is no heat emanating from it at all.

The rest of the synth works absolutely fine.

"It's worse than that; He's dead Jim." - Have been back on the phone to Roland and the D70 LCD screen is now obsolete!!

Step one - Scream AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Step two - Repeat step one until slapped!

Regards

M.
Don't be too concerned about what Roland tell you. This kind of display is still very much in manufacture. The trick is finding an equivalent that mechanically lines up with what you already have. I replaced the display on my D-550 with an equivalent and it was fine. The display cost me around $25.

If everything else works and you can see the contrast changing then it sounds likely that the display itself is faulty.

I noticed you are in the UK - whereabouts? I honestly think there is a very good chance this beast will go again - just pace yourself.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:16 pm

I work on vintage arcade games for fun and it sounds like a classic problem of a single component heating up and failing. An old solder joint could do it too, but they tend to go sort of intermittent before they stop working all together during a heat-up cycle. Cleaning the pins and reseating the display header connector would be my first step as it's so easy to do.

Should be easy to find the offending component with a can of freeze spray if that's the problem.

nickcarr

Post by nickcarr » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Greetings to all on this forum first time on this forum the name is Nick and I recently acquired a simi functioning D70 that I will be attempting to kick start again starting with The LCD display.
To Malifatcat
If you are looking to replace your LCD display I know of a manufacturer that makes the LCD display for the Roland D70 as I just ordered one for mine and it is on its way.
I dont know the company's name offhand but they are located in Anahiem California USA
contact Ron at area code (714) 998-3001 to place a order. Ron is also a very friendly fellow who will gladly spend time to give you advise on how to install and troubleshoot problems regarding these types of displays.
My D70 suffers from no backlight on the display (soon to be fixed with a new display) and corrupted memory.
I am in search of a Roland factory preset rom card to do a clean install which I hope will bring this beast back to life.
Any help with my rom search would greatly appreciated as there seems to not be many around.
Peace
Nick in Studio City California