Non-volatile memory on the oxygen series

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
andrew13

Non-volatile memory on the oxygen series

Post by andrew13 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 pm

I got an M-audio oxygen v8 2 sometime last year and was wondering that if you could disconnect the controller from the usb and use some plugins without it being connected to the software in anyway, and the only way being if you save these plugins to the non-volatile memory. Of course, I'd have to have the power supply to make sure it doesn't go off but I was wondering if it is actually possible to do this as it would make gigging alot easier as i wouldn't have to lug lots of analogue synths around.
M-Audio oxygen 49, Microkorg, Alesis Micron.
I only wish I could own a Clavia Nord lead 2.

tim gueguen

Re: Non-volatile memory on the oxygen series

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Nope. Keyboards like that are strictly controllers and have no sound generating circuitry in them.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Asking this question implies you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is happening in your set up. I don't mean this as an insult, I'm just letting you know. the controller sends MIDI data to the computer. The computer accepts the MIDI data and generates audio. Audio comes out the computer. The plugin does not get loaded into the keyboard or anything like that,ever.

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:56 pm

you could get savvy, and incorporate a small desktop synth's guts "circuit board, PSU" Inside the MIDI controller. lol
Thus building your own Key'd synth ;)

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:24 am

There is an answer to this. It's called Receptor:

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php?r=overview

You can load up any VST plugin into this box and take it to a gig and then just plug your oxygen 8 controller into it:
Attachments
receptor.jpg
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Also the V Machine

If you want controller plus sounds, swap your Oxygen for an xioSynth

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

andrew13

Post by andrew13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Cheers guys I quite like the idea of that receptor. So you're just saying you can load all the plugins you want from say like Pro tools into that box and then connect the oxygen to it and it'll play the plugin that's selected?

I had also considered the Zio-synth. So basically that's got like a receptor thing built into it and it can play the plugins from a certain software? Hmmm both very good ideas. Thanks very much.
M-Audio oxygen 49, Microkorg, Alesis Micron.
I only wish I could own a Clavia Nord lead 2.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:27 am

Yes, receptor can load any vst type plugin from protools and operate as a stand-alone synth rack module of that plugin (and a million others). Once you initially load the vst into receptor via a computer, and set it up, that vst then becomes a receptor preset - you just switch receptor on, and select the vst like a synth patch via the knobs and buttons on the front panel - no computer needed. It will automatically load the vst you were last using on power up, too, so you don't even have to do anything except switch it on and start playing. The Oxygen 8 plugs into receptor via a USB port on the front panel (or 4 more around the back). In fact, the Oxygen 8 is their recommended controller for receptor (simply because they've thoroughly tested it with receptor and know it works 100%).

The Xiosynth can't load plugins from software - it's just a synth with lots of controller knobs. You won't be able to load your favourite software plugin into it like receptor.

See if you can find a music shop nearby that sells receptor and take your Oxygen 8 with you and try it out in the shop. You could even take one of your plugins on a disk or USB stick and ask them if you can load it in and try it out.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine