Problems with Novation D-Station

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
unlabeled

Problems with Novation D-Station

Post by unlabeled » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi guys, got few issues with this drum machine. first - sometimes i cant edit tom2 and tom3 sections? because it flashes back to tom1. Same thing with Conga section and rimshot,clap,Cowbell too((. When I try to chose clap for example, the screen doesnt show Cl, it shows Rimshot(( Same for toms and Congas. No problems with Hihat, Crash, ride,Snare and Bass drum. I took it to the nearest electronics serviceman, he said that physically there are no problems. What could it be? Thank you for answers, Igor

unlabeled

Re: Problems with Novation D-Station

Post by unlabeled » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 am

Can anybody send me a Operation System file (Sysex) for D-Station? Really need your help guys! infokadze@yahoo.com

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:58 am

I made a Cubase device panel for the D-Station a while back and although I don't play with the front of it any more I think I know whats wrong.

Don't use the [-] and [+] buttons on the keypad to select drum sounds when you want to edit them, if you want to select a sound to edit just move the right control on the D-Station like a knob or selector switch and the D-Station's display will jump to and show you the name of the drum sound you are editing. If you want to edit your toms use the selector switch in the toms section to chose the right one, if you want to edit an 808 or 909 sound use the buttons to switch.

unlabeled

Post by unlabeled » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you for the advice, but i tried to do this few weeks ago, nothing happened. I know that if im not using + - buttons, i can jump to the sound which I want to edit simply just by moving the knob or trigger of the section which I want to edit. It all true? but when it goes to the Toms section, nothing will happens to the changes of Tom2 and Tom3, unless (funny trick I found) I move the trigger from the section Congas to Maracas)) Congas 2 and 3 just not adjustable for me anyway. I think Its something wrong with Operating system, but I cant find the sysex file anywhere(( Once again, thank You, but the problem is still exist(

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:21 am

The Operating System is not flash upgradable so there is no sysex file, there is also no factory reset procedure.

That funny trick with the congas probably has to do with that section being 808 only, if you have a 909 kit selected and bring up Congas, Maracas or Claves the D-Station will switch to the 808 kit.

I would like to know what you mean by "trigger" so I can work out if you are actually using the small sliding selector switches or not.

In the toms section you will see three knobs (level, tune, decay) and also a small sliding selector switch, if you move the switch from position 1 (low) to position 2 (mid) the display should read t2 and if you then move the switch to position 3 (high) the display should read t3, it is these small sliding switches that let you edit the specific tom you have in the display....are you moving these switches?

unlabeled

Post by unlabeled » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:12 pm

Sorry, I meant moving that switch not trigger. Maybe Ive got a factory bug? Sorry for my English but I will try to explain. I use both +- buttons and sliding selector switch to chose instruments to edit. There is an issue which i think connected both with Toms and Congas section. For example, i want to edit Tom2, so I select Utilites and dial + button to the Tom2 on the screen, and there goes the funny thing: if the selector switch of Congas, Maracas and Claves is being on Congas I wont be able to edit Tom2 (even the selector is on Tom Mid), as I only move one of the Toms knobs the screen flashes to the Tom1. BUT, if I switch selector to Maracas, Tom2 is editable)) Tom 3 is editable too at that point, but then if I move selector to the Claves, Tom3 is not editable((

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:00 am

If you select Utility and do not press the + or - buttons but instead just move the sliding selector switch in the toms section does the display change or does it stay on t1?

If it stays on t1 and does not change to t2 or t3 when you move it, the switch itself could be faulty.

unlabeled

Post by unlabeled » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Switch slider on Toms is working only when other switch not on Congas)) If it is on Congas it doesnt change t1 to t2 and t3. I think someone could sweat the wires inside the box or something (((///

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Do you know if the D-Station is responding to control change messages?

unlabeled

Post by unlabeled » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:30 pm

You mean if it is played by sequencer and at that moment I move the control knobs? It changes volume, tune etc values of Toms, but as i said only if slider №2 is not on the Congas. If it is not, I can freely change the parameters of chosen Tom

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 pm

You should be able to edit the D-station via MIDI without even touching the front of it if you have to.

unlabeled

Post by unlabeled » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Ok, I think Ive got to take it to technician once more. Anyway, hollandturbine thank you a lot for your advises, hope it will work

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:25 am

Good idea, there is the possibility the first guy did not check properly and it might be a good idea to write down some basic instructions so the next technician has some reference that points him in the right direction so he can check out the switching matrix.

Good luck.