Syncing TR-606 to Oberheim OB-8 arpeggiator

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Syncing TR-606 to Oberheim OB-8 arpeggiator

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm

I know this sounds really simple, but is there a trick to making this work? I have noticed that on a Pro One, for example, I had to plug the cable into Gate Out halfway to make it work, which means I'm probably using the wrong kind of cable... but on the TR-606 I'm having a hard time trying to understand how the trigger outs work. I just got it yesterday, and in the manual it says you can use either of the trigger outs but that they are triggered by the LT and HT patterns? I don't really get that. What I have tried so far was just making a pattern and plugging the trigger out (with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter) to my Arpeggiator clock input on the OB-8 and I get nothing. It does something if i mess with the wire a little.. anyone have any insight or have both of these instruments and know what to do? I feel kind of stupid when it comes to triggering stuff.
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Re: Syncing TR-606 to Oberheim OB-8 arpeggiator

Postby Solderman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:16 pm

First try making a pattern on the 606 with only a Low Toms beat on every 16th. Connect the LT trigger out to the OB8 arpegg. sync in with a mono(unbalanced) cable. I know Radio Shack makes "Phono Cables" that are 1/8th inch on one side and 1/4" on the other. Press play on the 606. Make sure the 606's little sync switch, in the upper left corner, is set to output.
Interesting on the Pro~One. I thought the only two lead jack was the Audio Input, and the inner lead on that one goes to a rectifier that gates its amp envelope.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Yep, the 606 triggers are driven by the toms. When a low tom is programmed, one trigger fires. When a high tom is programmed, the other trigger is fired. Simple. The volume of the toms is irrelevant. I tend to turn them down when using them as triggers. Using them as triggers does not remove them from the audio output.

They put out a short (20ms) pulse of 14V.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Ah, so then technically speaking I could set a low tom to every step, turn the volume down on the low toms, then it should trigger my pattern sans the audio output of the toms?
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Precisely.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Yeah, so it doesn't f'ing work on the OB-8 for some reason! It's weird because with the right cable and the right settings on the 606, it seems to trigger the arpeggiator tempo and lock it in but when I play notes I get nothing. It worked great last night on the Pro-One sequencer though. Any thoughts? Is my OB defective? I think I know it pretty well and I never thought there needed to be any other settings changed to make it work...
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby bleurgh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:09 am

I would say that the 606's trigger voltage is too low for the OB8. I have the same problem triggering my Monopoly from Roland drum machines (including the 606). They trigger Roland synths just fine, but I can only trigger the Monopoly's arpeggiator if I use one of the separate instrument audio outputs (not trigger outputs) from the 808, such as the cowbell output.

The 808 outputs a 5V trigger and the Monopoly wants a 15V trigger.
bleurgh

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:42 pm

That's funny because we ran into the same issue with the Mono/Poly actually. It sorta works, but doesn't accurately trigger it. Excellent point. Bummer for my sake...
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby bleurgh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 am

And so MIDI was invented! :D
bleurgh

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 pm

So given that there is no midi on the 606 and I don't really want to add it, would it be safe to say I need to trigger something else with the 606 (like the pro one) and then from the pro one trigger the OB-8?
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby Solderman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Assuming the current is insufficient coming out of the 606(either with batteries or with a PSA-120 power supply), the easiest solution would be to buy a Kenton Pro-Solo, send it Midi clocks, and have the other devices slave to outputs from the Kenton.(Sync24 and Aux1 clock)

edit: Oh, I didn't see Bleurgh's initial response. I don't know if the Kenton Pro Solo will do a 15V clock or Gate, but I know the Kenton Pro-2000 does a + or - 15 volt Gate.
Last edited by Solderman on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby bleurgh » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 am

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:So given that there is no midi on the 606 and I don't really want to add it, would it be safe to say I need to trigger something else with the 606 (like the pro one) and then from the pro one trigger the OB-8?

You may as well give it a try, but the gate out on the Pro-1 is also only 5V.
bleurgh

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Well, here's what we did and it "sort of" worked.

Trigger out from the 606 to Gate in on the Pro One. From there we controlled the sequencer on the Pro One, but I noticed that when it's being triggered the envelopes on the Pro One are really quick; like you can get one sound as it is and then when you trigger the sequence the timbre changes to a much quicker, shorter sound... does that make sense? I assumed it was because of the trigger voltage coming out of the 606, because I don't seem to remember this being an issue when the Pro One was being triggered by the OB-8 arpeggiator. Anyway, it still triggers and stays in sync perfectly, so we ran a CV out from the Pro One into the CV-in on the Mono/Poly which was cool but it still doesn't work to trigger the arpeggiator. I could swear we used the Pro One to trigger the arp in the Mono/Poly and it worked. Is the 606 just trashing my desires to sync stuff together?? :) i will look into a Kenton Pro Solo anyway; I've wanted to for years but I keep putting it off as something I really don't need.
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Gate and trigger are two separate things. Triggers are usually very short - the 606 puts out a 20ms pulse. Gates are usually as long as you want the note held - the same as a keypress.

Your short notes are coming from the fact that effectively the 606 is only 'pressing the keys' for 1/50th of a second.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby bleurgh » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Gate and trigger are two separate things. Triggers are usually very short - the 606 puts out a 20ms pulse. Gates are usually as long as you want the note held - the same as a keypress.

Your short notes are coming from the fact that effectively the 606 is only 'pressing the keys' for 1/50th of a second.

But the gate in port on the Pro-one doubles as the clock in.
bleurgh

Next

Return to HELP!