Korg X-911 Synthe section is very 'quiet'

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
synsonics

Korg X-911 Synthe section is very 'quiet'

Post by synsonics » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 am

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a Korg X-911, and have found that the 'synthe' section on the right to be very, very quiet, in fact, it is barely audible at all in comparison with the fully working preset 'instruments' on the left hand side. I've run a sequencer through it and it triggers off the presets nicely, but would prefer the synthe side to make some noise. I will be taking it apart next week to investigate, but as I'm not a sparky, I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar problem, or know where to look exactly. I've got all the schematics off the net, but can't find a manual.

Oh, I took the left hand panel off to investigate a 'rattling' sound when I got it, and found a, ummmmm..... peanut inside.....! (god knows how it got in there) So I'm hoping a simple clean is all that's required. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again,

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg X-911 Synthe section is very 'quiet'

Post by sam » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

I would first check the slider between the 2 sides....When you run something through the filter on the synth side does it work...?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

synsonics

Post by synsonics » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 am

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply. I've just run a drum machine through the input and when the slider is centre or full left the presets process the drum machine nicely, but when the slider is pushed to the middle or flush right (synthe section) it drops to a barely audible level, the sounds 'feel' like they are trying to push through but it does definitely have a bad connection feel. Like you mentioned I'm thinking the slider needs to be cleaned out, oh wait, now the first 'synthe' button (16') won't turn on when I press it, the others do..... I'm guessing this old 911 just needs some tlc, hopefully that's all... I'll post back after I take it apart and check the circuit board etc next week ..... Oh yeah, anyone know what the 'polarity' switch is for? Oh, and what's good for cleaning the face plate with? (lot's of grime build up), is a damp cloth okay? (I don't want to encourage any rust though, naturally).......

Cheers

synsonics

Post by synsonics » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Well I opened it up, and found yet another peanut?!, cost-cutting?.. removed all the dust and gave the mixer/slider a clean, I couldn't easily identify any glaringly obvious issues... no real improvement to synthe side coming through unfortunately, looks like I will have to get it serviced by a tech. How do you 'pop' open the buttons? they're the coloured led ones like on the polysix/monopoly/808 and many other synths of that era.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 pm

I feel the schematics are needed now, Unless you can follow what's going on by studying the circuit or maybe checking the wires/connections around the switches on the right side.
You might get lucky but i feel it's something else on the board.

Why are you taking the covers off the switches...?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

synsonics

Post by synsonics » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:27 am

Yeah, I have a feeling something beyond my knowledge is (or not) happening on the board. As for wanting to open up the button, the first synthe button doesn't activate when I select it anymore, I was thinking maybe a bad or dirty contact within the switch itself? Or maybe it's become part of the rest of the problem, looks like I'll be getting it serviced. Cheers

synsonics

Post by synsonics » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:28 am

Just a quick update, it turns out that a previous owner spilt a drink all over it, thereby shorting out the chips......nice!, but it's up and running again!