Is it FATAL ??? My Akai AX 60 ... plugged in with plug conv

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
computer__controlled

Re: Is it FATAL ??? My Akai AX 60 ... plugged in with plug conv

Post by computer__controlled » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

cant wait to get the cable to patch my s612 through the AX.. that will be interesting !!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 pm

I also need that cable...AX60 to S950... :D
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

computer__controlled

Post by computer__controlled » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm

you know the roland ones work ..??
also sam what s the go with the arpeggiator on the ax i cant get it working with my 707 ... ???

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Testing the outputs of the transformer may not tell the whole story. On that board to the left of the transformer in the first photo, I definitely see a rectifier, and my guess is that the regulation is done on that board too, since I see big caps. I don't like the fact that it made an arcing sound; that nearly always means something fried somewhere. My guess is that either a rectifier or a voltage regulator is blown. Hopefully the regulators protected the rest of the circuitry. If that board has a cable that goes to another board, that's where you will want to test the DC voltages. I'd also want to take a close look at those caps, to see if any of them are swollen or leaking.

Actually, CC, it would help if you could take a photo of that whole board that's to the left of the transformer.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

computer__controlled

Post by computer__controlled » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:08 am

hey corn nutt ... in case u didnt see my earlier post .. the synth is fine .. replaced a fuse , and bada bing bada boom , she fired up as intended .... only thing i have an issue with now is my tr 707 wont trigger the arpeggio .. and im trying to find info regarding the type of trig it uses , strig , vtrig hz/Volts .. i cant find no info anywhere ...
if u want me to take a photo of the rest of the boards internals let me know .. and ill snap one for you...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 pm

computer__controlled wrote: if u want me to take a photo of the rest of the boards internals let me know .. and ill snap one for you...
That would be cool, just to see them. Afraid I don't know much about Akais, so I can't help you with the trigger.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Niijaooh
Gear: A6, Jp-4, Jp-6, Chroma Polaris II, D-50, TX-7, MKS-50, MW 1.

Post by Niijaooh » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey computer__controlled

Did you ever get around making a sound demo of the synth?
Last edited by Niijaooh on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisrnps

Post by chrisrnps » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 am

computer__controlled wrote:... i just tried to sync the arp with my 707 .. no syncage ?? could net get it to work ??? does it not work with a roland trig ?? or have i missed something ??.. i know my trig on the 707 works cause ive just finished rocking out a jx-3p + 707 sequencer jive ...
im very dissapointed now was looking forward to getting some arpeggio action on the ax & 707 happening ...
god i miss my juno 6 !!!
Does the 707 have a dedicated 'trigger' out jack or are you using one of the 707's audio outs into the Akai arp-sync input jack?

The Akai manual specifies a "negative-going trigger impulse" for triggering the arpeggiator sync input. I was able to fake one using a waveform hand-drawn in Bias Peak and loaded into the Logic EXS-24 sampler plugin, routed to its own audio output on a MOTU interface, but found I had to boost the signal significantly (more than a typical "+4 analog audio" signal level, for sure) before the AX60's arpeggiator would begin to trigger. There's a chance you might need to either A) wire a 1/4" cable "wrong" to invert the polarity of the trigger output from your drum machine to make it "negative-going", B) use an external preamp of some sort to boost the level slightly, or C) both, in order to get the AC60 external-arpeggiator-sync to respond.

But once you do, it's worth it - the arpeggiator on the AX60 doesn't "freewheel", it advances one "step" with each "trigger pulse" it receives, and then sits there and waits to receive another trigger pulse to fire off the next "step", so if you can make it play whatever rhythmic pattern you want depending on the "pulse" you send to it (i.e., with something to boost the signal in-between, you could probably use a programmed pattern with the "rim shot" or some other drum machine sound to trigger it) - particularly cool if you play chords with the "all notes simultaneously" arpeggiator setting. :mrgreen: