Korg Mono/Poly question.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
sh8040

Korg Mono/Poly question.

Post by sh8040 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I might buy a Korg Mono/Poly, but I need to know something.
When controlling it by the cv/gate inputs, is it only a monosynth? Can you only have poly mode from the keyboard?

Cheers!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Korg Mono/Poly question.

Post by Z » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Regardless of which mode the MP-4 is set (mono or poly), all 4 oscillators are triggered in unison via CV/Gate.

Poly mode is only available from the MP-4's keyboard.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:17 pm

Z wrote:Regardless of which mode the MP-4 is set (mono or poly), all 4 oscillators are triggered in unison via CV/Gate.

Surely CV was only ever going to be for monosynths - I'm not sure how it would ever work in a poly application??

I love the Mono/Poly - I'd really like one. AG has a great demonstration of this synth on youtube.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
Z wrote:Regardless of which mode the MP-4 is set (mono or poly), all 4 oscillators are triggered in unison via CV/Gate.

Surely CV was only ever going to be for monosynths - I'm not sure how it would ever work in a poly application??

I love the Mono/Poly - I'd really like one. AG has a great demonstration of this synth on youtube.
True. I saw this question yesterday and didn't want to reply before checking. First, I thought maybe the CV/Gate would only control one oscillator, but it does controll all four in unison.

I never use my MP-4 in poly mode anyway.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:48 am

sh8040 wrote:I might buy a Korg Mono/Poly, but I need to know something.
When controlling it by the cv/gate inputs, is it only a monosynth? Can you only have poly mode from the keyboard?

Cheers!
It pretty much useless for poly playing anyway - there's only one filter for all the voices. Though if you really want to, if I recall correctly, you can use CV/Gate with the chord memory function. Still though, it wouldn't be much good. You really only want this synth if you're happy to play mono most of the time.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:35 am

It's just like Z said. Keyboard only.
The CV input controls all oscs simultaneously.

If they wanted to be crazy, they could have put four CV inputs, and each osc would have been able to be controlled individually... and what's the point?

The polyphony comes from the little computer in the MonoPoly which senses when and which keys are depressed.

If you use the word "only" in regard to the MonoPoly's polyphony, I suggest you watch my video. :)
I don't know what people expect in synth polyphony, but if you can't find something cool to do with the MonoPoly's polyphony section, you're seriously not trying hard enough... there are MANY cool and unique sounds to be had out of the thing!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sh8040

Post by sh8040 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 am

thanks for the help guys, turns out i'll need to get a midi mod fitted to the mono/poly to use control the poly mode.
i'm stuck between a jupiter 6 and a mono/poly at the moment :/

and automatic gainsay, your videos are always helpful when i'm thinking about buying a new synth :)

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I don't know what people expect in synth polyphony...
...a filter for each voice perhaps? Makes a polyphonic synth more versatile and more expressive.
Automatic Gainsay wrote:but if you can't find something cool to do with the MonoPoly's polyphony section, you're seriously not trying hard enough... there are MANY cool and unique sounds to be had out of the thing!
Hmmm... I must be missing something then! Do tell! Sure, it's great when combined with the arpeggiator - that's how I use it mostly to be honest - and the chord memory is pretty cool, particularly when combined with the arpeggiator. Other than that, it seems pretty limited to me, but then again as you seem to suggest, I may not be thinking laterally about it.