Korg se 500 delay barely or not audible?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Korg se 500 delay barely or not audible?

Post by Fogflip » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:20 am

I just received a wonderful se 500 but during shipping the carrier was not to carful after putting it back together i get little i mean very very little to no delay at all. Everything seems connected the heads seem fine i am at a lose and would love to avoid visiting my local tech. Any one have advice on what the issue might be?
Last edited by Fogflip on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take it sleazy

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Korg se 500 delay barely or not audible?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:40 am

Send it back and get a full refund, then buy one that works.

Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Post by Fogflip » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:44 am

thanks but would rather hang on to it and fix than send it back initially. thats a worst case scenario.
Take it sleazy

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:58 am

An SE 500 has a whole heap of moving parts, it's not just an electronic item, it's a mechanical one as well. If it's been knocked around there's a really good chance that things have been bent out of shape and will never work properly again. The fact that you said that you had to put it back together is a really bad sign.

I think the worst case scenario is that you try to fix it and can't, and then you won't even be able to get your money back.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:20 am

If the tape is intact and runs fine, you could try bending the little metal tab that pushes the tape unto the heads so that it pushes it harder, a small adjustment can make the difference between no echo and a normal level.

If this doesn't work, then sending it back is a reasonable option. Otherwise get a significant partial refund.
Most techs hate working on tape echos and it's likely to cost you over 100$ without any assurance of a solution to your problem.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

I have a RE-201 that has extremely low echoes (I have to use the P.A. out to hear them)..
Change the tape?
Re-cap it?

hmm..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Again tu could just be a need to adjust the mechanism that feeds the tape on the heads.

I'd also clean the heads and other parts with alcohol, and change the tape.

Recapping is overrated, but not a bad thing if done properly.