Re-201 low output volume

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Re-201 low output volume

Post by Fogflip » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:00 am

hey guys picked up a re201 locally the other day. the unit seems fine but the output of volume on high seems kinda low just wondering if this is normal and the signal needs a nice boost or do i have to take a look inside and maybe fix a few things. thanks!
Take it sleazy

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Re-201 low output volume

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:51 am

I would say more than %50 of re-201 space echos are in dire need of serious service, recapping, calibrating, new tape, clean heads, demagnetize heads. lucky if you can get all that done for under $200

If you mean there is low echo volume, then all the above are the reason. if you mean it's got low all around volume then I'm not sure.

there is a website where you can ship it to and the guy will make it sound new again for like $200
for sale/trade: EML-101

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:10 am

mine doesnt need a boost... comes in nice and loud without further amplification. does the low / mid / high volume switch do anything...?

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:15 am

I have a 201/301 and sre555....The 301 has the most lively sound and hottest output followed by the 201.

However the 555 is ok but not as lively...ie It doesn't self oscillate like the others and the signal cuts off earlier.

The heads seem fine and it has a new tape.

I want to service it and i wonder if anyone here has some tips.

I called the Roland service center and they no nothing about head demagnetizing.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:53 am

Fogflip wrote: output of volume on high seems kinda low just wondering if this is normal
On mine I noticed the high's getting kinda dull but it turned out to be the tape. I put in a new tape loop and all was well. With that said I would try a new loop first and if it still sounds low then maybe it needs some maintenance.
sam wrote:However the 555 is ok but not as lively...ie It doesn't self oscillate like the others and the signal cuts off earlier.

The heads seem fine and it has a new tape.

I want to service it and i wonder if anyone here has some tips.

I called the Roland service center and they no nothing about head demagnetizing.
When my high's started getting dull I had to crank it to max for it to start to self oscillate and even at max it would barely self oscillate. To degauss/demagnetize you need one of those wands. Just don't touch the heads with the wand. I forget if its you hold it close and slowly back it away or vis versa.

Demagnetizing improves highs but not sure if it helps the self oscillation. There is a little trim pot inside where you can adjust the self oscillation sensitivity. Surely one of the techs than hang around would know why the signal would cut off. Maybe it is the heads and the tape not getting the right contact(dirty, roller might be dirty too).

I once was going to attempt to service mine but I don't have the tools the service manual says you need. If you guys don't have, or can't find, the 201's service manual I can email it to you or post it somewhere(almost 10mb of PNG scans).
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: