Roland Jupiter 6 Arpeggio Clock In Help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
chasesynth

Roland Jupiter 6 Arpeggio Clock In Help

Post by chasesynth » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:26 am

I recently purchased a Roland Jupiter 6. I have figured every aspect of this beast out on my own / using the manual but the one thing the manuel didn't go into detail on and I haven't found any information on the internet about is the Arpeggio Clock In?

My question is HOW do I synch the Jupiter 6's arpeggio to a click? I use my keyboard live with a laptop. I currently use backing tracks to do my arpeggios but would LOVE to be able to send a click to the Jupiter and "manually" do arpeggios.

I've tried sending a click in the form of a snare drum sound from my laptops output to the Clock In and all that did was freeze my Jupiter 6 while in Arpeggio mode. (No sound output, and the arp light didn't seem to be beating to the appropriate rhythm)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks SO much!

-Chase

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Roland Jupiter 6 Arpeggio Clock In Help

Post by Z » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:31 am

Refer to page 33 of the User manual.

You cannot run an audio source into the Arpeggio Clock In, it must be an electrical pulse generated by a drum machine's trigger out.

chasesynth

Post by chasesynth » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 am

Yeah page 33 said use a drum machine. BUT I figured that was out dated, meaning couldn't I send an electrical pulse through my laptops output somehow? Considering all audio carries a certain amount of voltage? I'm just trying to avoid buying a shitty drum machine.

Thanks for your quick response.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 am

Don't buy a shitty drum machine, buy a good one. :) There are many machines out there under $100 that will do the trick, half are good, half are crappy. There's a tread here on VSE from earlier this year with a list of drum machines with trigger outs.

I don't use computers, but I think I saw a video on MatrixSynth the other day where someone had an audio interface for their computer that would output pulses for older gear.

chasesynth

Post by chasesynth » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 am

Thanks so much I'll look around!

But still if anyone out there on this forum knows how to output from a computer the right kind of pulse to vintage gear let me know!

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:57 am

Not sure exactly why it wouldn't have worked. I used to trigger my Juno 6's arp from fruity loops. I simply recorded a trigger output from another synth into Cool Edit as a wave file and then dropped the file into fruity loops. So theoretically this was an audio sample. Whether it triggered reliably depended on the volume of the sample, so maybe all you have to do is adjust the volume of the sound you're attempting to trigger the JP6 with.

Have you tried sounds other than a snare? How about the rimshot?