DIN Sync (TR606)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
staticseven

DIN Sync (TR606)

Post by staticseven » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi guys
I've had a TR606 for years now. Never used it live, only ever recorded and/or sampled it. I'm looking at building it into my live rig. It'll be a few bits and bobs all synced up over MTC. The 606 only has a DIN Sync input. I'll be honest, I've got no idea how that stuff works. Whats the cheapest way to get this thing to lock to MTC?
Thanks
Liam.x
Korg Prophecy +++ Novation K-Station +++ Roland AX-7 +++ Jazzmutant Lemur +++ Multivox MX3000 +++ Roland Juno G +++ Fender Rhodes SeventyThree

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: DIN Sync (TR606)

Post by Syn303 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:04 pm

You will need a Midi > CV interface if you want to control the 606 via MTC.

Midi > CV units out there are from Kenton, Phil Rees both UK and a small Canadian manufacturer.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:00 pm

I'll partly agree with mr 303 there, but just to add that not all MIDI to CV interfaces include DIN Sync24. Ones I have used that do, include the Kenton Pro Solo and Groove Electronics M2CV. I also use a Philip Rees box that is dedicated to Sync24 (MDS I think it's called) and does nothing else. You can find any and all of these 2nd-hand if you search, but they're not all common - and only Kenton are still in the business of making these things. Korg's old KMS-30 does the job too. Doepfer I think still make a dedicated Sync unit but I've never tried it.

staticseven

Post by staticseven » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:42 am

I've also seen that you can get mod kits for these guys that will allow midi inputs. What would you guys recommend? Buying a converter or modding it?

Ive got to show my ignorance as well. I have a general understanding of CV over bantam but not over DIN. Same idea or is DIN Sync something totally different?
Korg Prophecy +++ Novation K-Station +++ Roland AX-7 +++ Jazzmutant Lemur +++ Multivox MX3000 +++ Roland Juno G +++ Fender Rhodes SeventyThree

staticseven

Post by staticseven » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:55 am

nathanscribe wrote:Doepfer I think still make a dedicated Sync unit but I've never tried it.
Been looking at the MSY2 from Doepfer. Looks perfect for what I need. The fitted mod kit and this are the same price (£80) so I'm really tempted by the Doepfer instead of letting someone inside my 606.
Good call!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 am

staticseven wrote:I have a general understanding of CV over bantam but not over DIN. Same idea or is DIN Sync something totally different?
Din Sync doesn't use CV, but instead uses TTL pulses. Three of the cable pins are used in all cases, these essentially being for clocks, start and stop. Indeed they are included on numerous Midi to CV converters, but to convert Midi Clocks to Din Sync, not Midi Time Code.

Some Midi cables are usable, but only if all of the pins are actually connected. Only way I know of to be sure is to use an Ohm meter and check both ends of the cable for each pin.
staticseven wrote:I've also seen that you can get mod kits for these guys that will allow midi inputs. What would you guys recommend? Buying a converter or modding it?
I modded my TR606 about 7 years ago, and never considered adding a Midi kit. I can't speak to whether it would benefit or not, but it's much much easier to go the Midi Clocks to Sync24 route. If you will be using the 606 live, you may however want to consider looking into Robin Whittle's memory expansion mod. It's certainly costly, but the ability to copy a pattern to another bank, while the pattern is running, could be very useful.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

leonidspaul
Gear: M1, Alpha Juno 1, Juno 106, TR606, 707, Poly 800, Poly 800II, SH09, MAM MB 33, Midas Venice 320...

Post by leonidspaul » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Since we're on this subject, is there a way of slaving a TR707, which in turn is sycn'ed to the TR606, from a master sequencer MPC2500. In other words when i press play on the MPC i want the 707 and 606 to start at the same time. I read on the manual that the DIN Sync will not transmit a signal if MIDI in is being used. Is getting a DIN converter the only way around this? Thanks.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm

leonidspaul wrote:Since we're on this subject, is there a way of slaving a TR707, which in turn is sycn'ed to the TR606, from a master sequencer MPC2500. In other words when i press play on the MPC i want the 707 and 606 to start at the same time. I read on the manual that the DIN Sync will not transmit a signal if MIDI in is being used. Is getting a DIN converter the only way around this? Thanks.
Yup, 707 cannot be used as a clock to sync converter. You need a dedicated device.

ronmcdonald

Post by ronmcdonald » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:22 pm

Sorry to drag up an old subject, but the answer to syncing your 707 to a MIDI and DIN sync set-up is that you use it as the master, i.e. set your MPC to receive the MIDI clock source from the 707. It will then act as the master tempo for the 606 and the MPC.