Juno 106 portamento is whacked

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
plastic love

Juno 106 portamento is whacked

Post by plastic love » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:31 pm

So I have a 106 in fine shape otherwise besides one failing voice chip (replacement is on the way.)
With the portamento on in either polyphonic mode it works randomly - maybe 3 out of every notes works. For the notes that portamento works on, it glides (portaments?) from random notes, rather than the note just played. If it's in monophonic, it works more often (8 out of 10 notes) and it does remember the note you just played. I tried cleaning the pots, switch and connectors from the bender board with contact cleaner. As I understand this is software based portamento so it shouldn't screw up. Does this mean my CPU is shot? Everything else works on this keyboard.

Bross

Re: Juno 106 portamento is whacked

Post by Bross » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:58 pm

The portamento slides from the last note played by the voice. This does not necessarily mean the last note played. In Poly 1 the voices rotate so this could mean it slides from a note your played five notes ago. This also means if you play C G C, when you play the C a second time it will reuse the voice from the first C you played, so there will be no sliding. In Poly 2 mode it will reuse the same voice as long as no additional notes are played. This should slide from the last note played as long as 1) you release the key of the first note 2) the first note was not using a different voice because multiple keys were held down. This could also be tricking you. If you play C G with out releasing the C key before the G key it will use voice 2 for G ("random" sliding from whatever note voice 2 played last). Now even if you release the G key and play C again it will not slide down from the G because the G used voice 2 and the C will use voice 1.

I recommend going into the test mode shown in the service manual and watching the voice number to figure out what is happening with voice assignments and verify the portamento is working.

I don't know why it wouldn't work in monophonic mode. I'd guess it has to do with playing legato based on my memory but I don't have a Juno-106 to test it out.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Juno 106 portamento is whacked

Post by cornutt » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:03 pm

The 106 doesn't know about legato. My guess is that the OP needs to replace either the portamento pot, the switch, or the cable that connects to the bender board.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!